Throttle return spring

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
I am questioning the necessity of adding a throttle return spring to my Holley 600 cfm Street Warrior carburetor which I am installing. It comes with a throttle shaft return spring which works well with the Lokar accelerator cable. Adding the Lokar throttle valve cable to the 904 transmission adds yet another rather strong spring. At this point the return tension is very positive. When I add an additional throttle spring to the carburetor the tension gets so high that I question the lifespan of the Lokar throttle cable.
All this said, I seem to recall that NHRA requires 2 springs but I am now wondering if the two springs I mentioned earlier (throttle shaft spring and throttle valve spring) count towards those? By the way, I have no plans to race it or even do a test and tune. And yes I do understand the idea of redundancy and safety, just asking since if it was so important, I question why the installation manual says nothing about adding one, however it has an arrow pointing to where one would be connected had supplied one, which they didn't.
Thanks

I've heard NHRA requires 2 return springs, but I can't seem to find it in the rule book. The "throttle section" in the general provisions doesn't mention it. Or at least I can see it. If they do, I'd have a hard time thinking they'd let the spring on the carb throttle shaft suffice as one of the required springs.

-
Back