Throwing my hat into the ring.

-

Airmonger

Reaction score
This is possibly the deepest commitment I have ever made for a ride.
I originally saw this Barracuda 10 + years ago, it belonged to a dear friends dad. At that time, I told his Dad that if he ever thought of selling, I would like first chance. In early March of this year, I received a call and was told to put my money where my mouth was. Granted, I hadn't seen the car recently, but I didn't hesitate to commit.
Now I really wonder what I've gotten myself into.
Too late now, but I really feel like the car needs me.
1967 Barracuda convertible. Originally a 273 2bbl. Factory 4 speed with 8 3/4 sure grip, sporting
3.73 gears. Confirmed on the fender tag. Originally blue with a bench seat, now wearing black w/buckets.
Now powered by a 68 318 w/273 heads and cast iron 4bbl intake. Single exhaust, and not much more.
Typical convertible body rot under the catch pans for the top, but overall pretty solid. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I can honestly say that the few things that I've needed straight out of the gate, have been provided by members of this site. I don't think I could have found a better spot to land. Great forum. Good people. A wealth of information. Priceless.
Will the Lil' Cuda ever be worth what is invested in it? I doubt it, even though research shows only 1600 or so being built this year in a convertible W/4 speed. Unique and it puts a smile on my face just knowing that I was a part of that generation that got to experience every thing Detroit had to offer and now, I get to live it one more time.

PINKS ALL OUT - TOPEKA - JULY 2010 002.JPG

PINKS ALL OUT - TOPEKA - JULY 2010 006.JPG

PINKS ALL OUT - TOPEKA - JULY 2010 013.JPG

PINKS ALL OUT - TOPEKA - JULY 2010 010.JPG

image000000.jpg

20240419_173329.jpg

I am a terminal fan of the '68 Barracuda, love convertibles, convert auto trannys to manual, so I am a loyal follower from now on! Please share your journey.

Welcome. Beautiful car......I'm sure that you will do a great job. And no, most of us don't do this for profit. LOL, we are usually upside down by the time we are finished.

Don't worry about getting your return money out of her...you probably never will. Just keep it forever. That's a sweet little car and the 4 gear is an exceptionally nice bonus. I would love to own it. Best Wishes

What’s invested? You asked about worth but a guy would need a baseline to answer that.

It’s a neat car otherwise, cool that it’s a 4 speed. Enjoy!

Last edited:
What’s invested? You asked about worth but a guy would need a baseline to answer that.

It’s a neat car otherwise, cool that it’s a 4 speed. Enjoy!
I invested way more than it's worth. But then again, when I pass, my family will really find out how much I spent on my motorcycles.

“…….it puts a smile on my face just knowing that I was a part of that generation that got to experience every thing Detroit had to offer and now, I get to live it one more time……..”

Age wise we’re probably within a few years of each other and I know exactly what you mean. I started out working in a small Chrysler Plymouth dealership in 68……man back then we thought it would never end and the cars would just keep getting better and better. And then…..the 70s happened LOL.

I get a little nostalgic working on my 68 Valiant realizing that I was working on these cars when they were new when I was starting out.

You’ve got a beautiful car (and this from a guy who is not normally a big fan of convertibles). Enjoy it and life.

Sweet ride!

I say life is measured in smiles per mile and happiness is not always measured by $.

Make it as nice as you want and can afford or feel compelled to spend. Just don't tell the wife like in your moto cycles!!

“…….it puts a smile on my face just knowing that I was a part of that generation that got to experience every thing Detroit had to offer and now, I get to live it one more time……..”

Age wise we’re probably within a few years of each other and I know exactly what you mean. I started out working in a small Chrysler Plymouth dealership in 68……man back then we thought it would never end and the cars would just keep getting better and better. And then…..the 70s happened LOL.

I get a little nostalgic working on my 68 Valiant realizing that I was working on these cars when they were new when I was starting out.

You’ve got a beautiful car (and this from a guy who is not normally a big fan of convertibles). Enjoy it and life.

Oh yeah, to have the cars that I trashed in my youth. Granted, most of them had already been run through the mill.
Just so you know, I myself have never appreciated a convertible unless it was a sports car. But, I wanted one last classic, and I wanted one last convertible. I just couldn't see going wrong with this one. Now, if it only had the 340 from my old Duster......
Still trying to get in trouble I guess.

I heard about your car just last week when you brought it to a gathering recently at Canyon Lake.
I was surprised anyone else in this area had a 2nd gen convertible Barracuda! I have a 69 convertible. We’ll have to meet up at one of the Mopar Muscle Club gatherings.

Will the Lil' Cuda ever be worth what is invested in it?
Nice car. Have fun with it. Do whatever you want with it as far as color, driveline and other options go. Make it yours. Unless you can do most or possibly all of the work yourself, you will not break even on it. Body and paint alone will likely be at least $15K. Don't worry about it. If you can afford it, have fun.

What is your enjoyment worth? I spent over $15,000 on my dart in my photo in 87', and hundreds of my hours doing the enjoyable work on it. When done then, it was worth around the same amount of money I spent on it. I still have it and drive it often, after 37 years.

I heard about your car just last week when you brought it to a gathering recently at Canyon Lake.
I was surprised anyone else in this area had a 2nd gen convertible Barracuda! I have a 69 convertible. We’ll have to meet up at one of the Mopar Muscle Club gatherings.
Looking forward to seeing you there.

Love it, enjoy the journey. I'm starting one in much worse shape because I need something to keep me occupied as well as for the the nostalgia - same as my first car the family gave me. Would jump on one of those early Barracudas if the right deal came along. Also in San Antonio so hope to see you at one of the monthly Mopar club meets.

-
Back