Throwout bearing self aligning or standard

-

player1up

Reaction score
This might be a completely stupid question, but what is the difference between a "self aligning" and "thrust" throwout bearing? and what are the pros/cons to using either?

I'm familiar with what a thrust bearing is, ( flat disc of radially oriented needle bearings )

I imagine that the "self aligning" type have some sort special front race with a ball carriage bearing but I'm just guessing.

Do self aligning ones last longer or chatter less or is it just a different/new design?

Never heard of either of those terms used in association with a throw out bearing.

Never heard of either of those terms used in association with a throw out bearing.

I asked this same question about a year ago and got the same answer. LOL

The reason it is being asked... or my reason for asking...

When I went to a chain parts store, NAPA, they asked me if I wanted self aligning or not. In the end I got a clutch kit that came with the throw-out bearing.... I still don't know.

FWIW, I went on the NAPA web page and looked up throw bearing. The difference appears to be $20 in the cost and no difference in the outward appearance.

formula, we're asking for the same reason, :) I saw the website and was like, is it REALLY worth the $20 or is it some snow job to get more money? OR is this some new way of doing things that is supposed to last way longer or make your waffles perfectly golden brown ???
After doing some searching I found some patent info on the web but it's like reading a mortgage loan doc. It appears that there is some sort of tapered...oh well just look....
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Self-aligning-roller-thrust-bearing_din728_ex.png

I got my Mcleod clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing from Brewsters transmission (Mopar trans only) and they never asked me that question .... now I'm wondering what I have on my car now. lol

I'm sure if it was a big deal they would have mentioned it wouldn't you think?

I got my Mcleod clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing from Brewsters transmission (Mopar trans only) and they never asked me that question .... now I'm wondering what I have on my car now. lol

I'm sure if it was a big deal they would have mentioned it wouldn't you think?

I agree, its really just my own curiosity. What normally goes bad first? the bearing or the clutch?? I drove the bjesus out of my old ranger..replaced the clutch and bearing but only because the clutch was toast..clutch was going again before I sold it but the bearing was holding up just fine

I agree, its really just my own curiosity. What normally goes bad first? the bearing or the clutch?? I drove the bjesus out of my old ranger..replaced the clutch and bearing but only because the clutch was toast..clutch was going again before I sold it but the bearing was holding up just fine

Now my curiosity is kicking in.. what is the first sign of a throwout bearing going bad?

it gets noisy then when you push the peddle it goes away. they will stay like that for some time then it gets louder an louder . there no way to grease them. All that i' ve dealt with ended up being dry an kinda rusty on the inside . make sure you look at the collar that fits over the frt shaft so that it is not wore. this is what the sleeve of the throw out bearing slides on . if its wore out replace it .It will cause premature wear of your clutch an bearing

it gets noisy then when you push the peddle it goes away. they will stay like that for some time then it gets louder an louder . there no way to grease them. All that i' ve dealt with ended up being dry an kinda rusty on the inside . make sure you look at the collar that fits over the frt shaft so that it is not wore. this is what the sleeve of the throw out bearing slides on . if its wore out replace it .It will cause premature wear of your clutch an bearing

Ok thanks for the info.

After doing some searching I found some patent info on the web but it's like reading a mortgage loan doc. It appears that there is some sort of tapered...oh well just look....
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Self-aligning-roller-thrust-bearing_din728_ex.png

The roller elements are tapered and barrel shaped. If the thrust face did not contact square or the thrust forces were not perpendicular to the thrust face can rock in the race and still maintain even loading on all the bearing elements.

It should be a better design in an application where the loading is not even but its not to any degree in a mopar manual tranny design. Is it necessary to have this ability in our cars? Or, is this really unique? Could be they have been using this design for ever, I know I don't take throw out bearings apart.

Seems what ever they have been selling for the past 40 years has held up fine so I kind of think its a marketing gimmick to lighten our wallets more.

If I had an old one I'd take it apart....I guess it is a stupid question, I mean if the clutch gets worn before the bearing and I have to take it all apart to change the clutch.and I'm damn sure going to replace the bearing while it's apart..then why would I need a bearing that will last any longer than the disk????

If I had an old one I'd take it apart....I guess it is a stupid question, I mean if the clutch gets worn before the bearing and I have to take it all apart to change the clutch.and I'm damn sure going to replace the bearing while it's apart..then why would I need a bearing that will last any longer than the disk????

My friends clutch is gone on his little Dodge truck. He called and asked me how much it would cost to get it fixed and what is involved. I told him he would have to get a clutch and a new throwout bearing. He asked me what a throwout bearing was and why he needed to replace that. I told him that you always replace the throwout bearing when you replace the clutch no matter what condition of the bearing. He didn't seem to want to pay for something that still works just fine. LOL!

If my clutch went out today I would buy a new bearing to go along with the clutch. It is just a law or something. LOL!

-
Back