thumbwheel radio question

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I'd like to restore my 68 Cuda dash to original and need a thumbwheel radio to do so. Can anybody tell me if they are all the same or will only a Cuda thumbwheel radio fit?

The front bezel/bracket is unique/specific to the model. The bezel/bracket has an ear that goes up on one side and goes out on the other.

If I remember I'll get a picture of mine and post it for you tomorrow.
Unless someone else comes up with one before then.

This is the one you will need that will fit correctly. 68 and 69 are the same.

!BTYs4Y!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKIKIHmwqg~~_1.jpg

My buddy got one out of a 68 valiant......

only to find out that the mounting ears are parallel, not offset like the pic shows. So yeah 68-69 cuda is your only option.

When I redid mine, I was able to cut off the improper parallell ear and do a little metal work to attach an equivalent upper ear using the case screws on the side of the radio. From the front of the dash, you'll never know the difference.

When I redid mine, I was able to cut off the improper parallell ear and do a little metal work to attach an equivalent upper ear using the case screws on the side of the radio. From the front of the dash, you'll never know the difference.

That's an interesting way to do it. I can't seem to come up with one that's right so I may have to go that route also.

Thanks, Tracy

I installed my radio using the two screws that run in from the front of the dash frame (two new holes were added to the dash frame). This was done because: 1) I did not have the correct radio fasteners and 2) my dash frame is a '67 modified by a fabricator to look like a '69. Original dash frame was damaged many years ago from a radio theft. Although my radio is a correct Barracuda radio it is not mounted correctly but looks good once the bezel is installed. The point is I am not using those Barracuda specific mounting ears and the radio looks fine.

Dash_shrunk.jpg

Mine is mounted by these screws via two holes added to the dash frame. Not the correct way to do it but if the holes are added in precisely the correct location it will work so a non-barracuda radio can be used. I made my holes a little on the big side so the screws are counter sunk allowing the bezel to sit flush.

BarracudaRadio_mounting screws.JPG

Good suggestion Bill but I got real lucky today. A buddy stopped by that's restoring a 68 Cuda and I mentioned I needed a radio and he had a decent looking one from his he isn't going to use and gave it to me. Couldn't pass that price up.:cheers:

-
Back