Tight Tubes

-
P

Problem Child

Anybody use Hedman Tight Tubes on a Dart? Mine is a 76 Swinger. Think they will clear?

Here is a pic of a 360 with the Hedman shorties on it. It's going in a '72 Dart Swinger with a 727 column shift and power steering. They cleared the crossmember and everything great during all the trial fitting, but it looks like it will be REALLY close to some of the steering parts. It should be in the car later on this week, so I'll let you know more then. :thumblef:

360.jpg

340dartswinger said:
i think its going to be a tight fit

Thats why they call them tight tubes, LOL

I know they dont fit on E bodys.

They do not fit well as they dump directly over the steering linkage with only a couple inches clearance, causing some extreme bends in the collector, making the damn things so restrictive I should have just left the 318 manifolds on. On top of that the exhaust shop had to severly ding the pipe so it wouldn't get hung up on the steering.

I dunno if these things fit better in other cars, like E or B bodies, but they sure were not made for an A body. I am not at all happy with my purchase.

Collectors 01 (Small).JPG

Collectors 02 (Small).JPG

I believe they were designed for the street rod crowd, but do fit pretty good in a truck being the stock manifolds are center dump.

Well - one would assume they are a streetrod type of product, but they show as an A-body application on Hedman's website. A bit misleading IMO.

The biggest mistake I made was spending the extra cake on the ceramic-coated version. The exhaust installer felt they could be made to fit better & be less restrictive by cutting off the collector flange & weding in a ball & socket adaptor.

...Unfortunately that would have ruined the coating, rendering it useless.

I bought the things as a cost - effective alternative to tti's which are over $1000.00 here. I'm not making huge horsepower, so I felt the shorties would work just fine.

Unfortunately, after the exhaust guy spent almost a day screwing around trying to install the things, they ended up costing me more for his labour.

You will need a mini starter for them to fit at all BTW...

Save the money & buy the tti's.

Other than wrapping under the steering link on the drivers side the Hedman long tube headers fit fine.

In general a short tube header biases it power improvement into the upper rpm ranges not what you want for a street motor. Long tube headers are a much better choice for the street.

-
Back