Tim from Oregon

-

Tim Stockwell

Reaction score
Hello all, I am in the process of restoring a 1973 Charger that I found has a 1976-78 mopar 400. This question applies to A bodies as well as B. I got this car as a basket case and after studying the VIN number and the engine block casting numbers I found that someone has replaced the engine with a 1976-78 400.
My questions is what was the correct carburetor for this year of engine. I think from what I a found is that Chrysler stopped using the 2 bbl for these years. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Tim

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I cannot answer your question but hopefully someone who can will pop by.

Welcome to FABO!, I used to have a 1976 Charger Daytona SE (a Dodge version of the Cordoba) it came equipped with a 400 Lean Burn engine and had a Carter Thermo quad 4 Barrel Carburetor. A friend of mine had a 1973 Charger also with a 400 Engine (non lean burn), it also had a Carter Thermo quad installed on it.

My parents had a 1973 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon, it had a 440 also with a Thermo quad.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am in the process of restoring a 1973 Charger that I found has a 1976-78 mopar 400. This question applies to A bodies as well as B. I got this car as a basket case and after studying the VIN number and the engine block casting numbers I found that someone has replaced the engine with a 1976-78 400.
My questions is what was the correct carburetor for this year of engine. I think from what I a found is that Chrysler stopped using the 2 bbl for these years. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Tim
Welcome !

Welcome to the forum.
I had a couple of b bodies from this era, a 78 Monaco wagon, 77 Cordoba, friend had a 73 Charger SE, all 400's, and worked on plenty of them, can't recall any that were not 4 bbl TQ equipped.

-
Back