Time to change cam?

-

TimDart

Reaction score
Having installed 3.91, 2400 stall. I was wondering if it ws time to change my cam. Currently have comp cams XE262, was thinking of changing to lunati 262/268 grind
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 220/226
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .475/.494
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1400-5800
Restrictions on my car are, no headers and not keen to change -running thru 2.5" TTI system
Compression is approx. 9.1
Appreciate your thougts as I could do this change over the winter.

Hi Tim!

How's the weather there in the UK? :)

I just swapped over to a Lunati cam and am very happy with it. Keep in mind any time you increase duration, you will loose some street manners. Are you running power brakes? If that doesn't bother you, I think that the larger Lunati will work well with your combo (2400 stall and 3.91's). Since the cam is a dual pattern cam (more duration on the exhaust than the intake) you shouldn't be choking it too much with stock exhaust manifolds although you may be leaving a few horses on the table.

Thanks Ramcharger, i was just looking for the next step up in cam size without loosing driveability on the street. Heard lots of good about the Lunati cams. That said, the 262 has served me well for the past 4 years, albeit on 3.23 gears.
As for the weather, man it has rained solidly for 10 hours, and it's meant to be summer!!

Thanks Ramcharger, i was just looking for the next step up in cam size without loosing driveability on the street. Heard lots of good about the Lunati cams. That said, the 262 has served me well for the past 4 years, albeit on 3.23 gears.
As for the weather, man it has rained solidly for 10 hours, and it's meant to be summer!!

With that converter and gears I really don't see much loss in driveability but your vacuum at idle will drop causing a reduction in power brake effectiveness (is that a word? lol!) if you are so equipped. If not, you'll get a bit choppier idle, more so if it's a 318 vs. a 360. Yes, it will be a bit less socially acceptable if that's an issue across the pond, but not by really that much at all. 220 @ .050 is darn near a truck cam by US standards.

I'm running a Lunati 60401 cam in my 5000# Ramcharger with 213 degrees of duration @ .050 lift in a 360 and have no noticeable idle chop at all. Instant response right off idle. That's with 3.55 gears and 33 x 12.5 tires plus a super tight towing converter too.

Anyway, sorry to hear you have so much rain, could you send some to Colorado? lol! I really dig history and the UK is one of the places I would love to visit along with northern Italy, Germany and Austria as that's where my roots are.

Enjoy your weekend and have a pint on me. Cheers! :cheers:

I dont know if I'd bother really. What is the typical rpm ceiling of your driving? There's not much difference in them really.

cheers, Ramcharger, the warm beer here is good!
Moper, i think you are probably right. I just checked my current cam card
lift .462 & .470
duration @ .50 218/224
So, not a huge difference. However, the next cam in the voodoo range seems to be quite a beast.
My usual rev range is up to 3,500 and occasionally racing up to 5500.

-
Back