Timing A 318

-

321Scamp

Reaction score
What is the best way to set the timing on my 318? I know it is said to set the timing to 35 BTDC at 2800 RPM. All I have is the factory dampener and timing cover marks, no tach, and an old timing light. Also, what is the interval of the marks on the timing cover? Mine looks like 0,,,ll,,,0,,,ll,,,0. If this makes sense?

I am going to just leave the timing where I have it set at now and just readjust the idle RPMs.

Thanks

Redneck, extra-Jethro semi scientific method: Disconnect vacuum advance. Raise idle RPM to about 3000. Turn dist to get the highest RPM. Reconnect vac advance, test drive and check for detonation under full load and light throttle, retard timing if necessary. Since a 318 is pretty low compression, you shouldnt have to back it down much to get rid of detonation.

Thanks. I know it is a stupid question, but I just don't have the tools nor the knowledge to set the timing to optimum performance. I have been getting a little soot build up on my spark plugs. Just trying to get a good burn for power and efficiency.

321Scamp said:
what is the interval of the marks on the timing cover? Mine looks like 0,,,ll,,,0,,,ll,,,0. If this makes sense?

Sorry guys, I am dumb @$$. The outer 0's are 10's not 0's, duh. Man, my head hurts after that brain fart.

-
Back