Timing belt damage - wow!

-
Used to have a 73 ranchero gt with a 351C in it. It had a factory ford "silent chain" timing chain with nylon teeth. Some of the teeth broke off and it jumped time. I was able to put a double roller on and get on down the road. Things made much simpler then.

When my HHR finally croaks in a big way it will be off to the scrapper for it,.and time for another disposable car.

Matt

It wasn't due for a timing belt until 105,000 miles. They only have 79,000 on it. It was water pump failure. I actually had this happen to my old Subaru Impreza. The water pump leaked onto the idler pulley bearing and it blew apart and locked up. When I took my timing cover off, little ball bearings fell out all over the floor. No way they could have known this was coming, unfortunately.

Not true. Timing belts on Hyundais should be replaced at 60,000 miles or 48 months. Most 3.5's (it's a Mitsu engine actually) don't make it much past 90,000.

It's a Hyundai... When it breaks you're supposed to throw it away! Why are you trying to fix it!?

- CK

-
Back