Timing Chain Choice

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
I'm putting 302 heads and XE268 Comp Cam on my 318 with stock bottom end. It has an Edelbrock Performer intake with 750 Holley and headers. What I need to know is a good timing chain and gear to put in while its all apart. I've heard that a Cloyes double roller is a good choice, but when I check them out there are several to choose from. Can anyone give me a part number or some advise on which would be the right choice for my setup? Car is a street car and maybe a rare trip to drags. I appreciate any opinions. Mike :scratch:

I recently bought a new set for my 383. I got a summit billet true double roller;the price was right (just under $70) but had to be tweaked. Nothing was majorly wrong, but the cam gear had slight burrs on the teeth from maching so I cleanedthem up with a dremel and a file. I checked and the small block part #sum g6603-b for billet $67.95. non billet is sum g6603 37.95.

I also recently bought one of the Summit billet sets for my 360. Had no problems with burs like above. I checked it over real good too. Very nice piece. Much like the rollmaster sets since their billet and have several timing adjustments, not the usual 4 adv. and 4 ret. and straight up like all others have.

IMO, the ONLY choice is a Cloyes TRUE roller, part # 9-3103. Not a double roller. The double roller is their cheap line. The True Roller has the beefiest chain (made by Renold - it will be stamped on the side bar of the links). The rollers are hardened and really roll. Many of the cheaper chains don't actually roll, they slide on the sprocket. Go to your local parts house and ask to see both. Compare them side-by-side. I've built dozens and dozens of engines with this model and never had a problem.

As far as the Rollmaster chain is concerned - I used one once. The billet sprocket is nice, but the chain is junk. It's made by Olon. I beleive it's Japanese. They wear out quick. Plus, it was loose when I put it on even though we bought an .005" shorter set to comensate for the line honed block. I wanted to replace it, but the guy who I was building the motor for was in a hurry.

Don't skimp on the timing chain. Your car will run better with a high quality chain due to less spark scatter.

-
Back