Timing chain cover and head bolt questions

-

Bronze Barracuda

Reaction score
Ok it's been quite sometime since I've put together an engine. (Over 20 years)

First the camshaft plate under the timing cover.
Mine has no slinger that I can find and 3 bolt holes, none of the three bolts have a hole for oil?
It does however have a small drip piece.

Also did Chrysler change the crank seal at some point. I knocked one out no problem but after cleaning up the timing cover I discovered one of holes for the water pump threads were ruined. I have a ridiculous amount of timing covers so I grabbed a few others checked them out then tried to whack out the seal, but it won't give an inch?
Honestly it looks like it's one solid piece compared to the other seal edge.

See pictures.
I've got two timing covers soaking overnight in solvent, hopefully it'll loosen them up a bit.

Also I have three different length bolts for the head bolts (360) I know the short ones go outside the valve covers but I have two long bolts 4 7/8"
Where do the longer bolts go?
Thanks everyone.

PXL_20240523_022756539.jpg

PXL_20240523_022409359.jpg

PXL_20240523_024421263.jpg

Top one isn't for an la I believe magnum. Grab another outta yer pile. Top left bolt when facing engine should have a hole

Which one is giving u an issue? If the bottom one flip over to verify there is a seal? Looks like top one has seal removed already

Ok it's an 89 or 90 la roller, if that makes any difference?
The longer headbolts are self evident if You look, but they go between the intake ports with the oil feed passages. The timing covers were changed on LA's so the seal could be popped out the front in later years, the older ones have to be pried out from the backside, this was discussed recently in another thread. The drip guide directs oil from the front bearing & cam sprocket gap to the chain, You're good.

Which one is giving u an issue? If the bottom one flip over to verify there is a seal? Looks like top one has seal removed already
The top one is the one with the ruined water pump threads. I was trying to knock out the seal from the dirty one, the same way I knocked out the cleaner (ruined) one. I knocked it out from behind and it came out no problem.
It looks as though the other one is different (smaller). I cleaned it up a little and it looks as though the timing cover on the dirty one is cast with a smaller hole. But I have 2 different covers in some solvent overnight, maybe they just need a little of the gunk to dissolve a bit.
I'll get back to whacking tomorrow.

Thanks.

The longer headbolts are self evident if You look, but they go between the intake ports with the oil feed passages. The timing covers were changed on LA's so the seal could be popped out the front in later years, the older ones have to be pried out from the backside, this was discussed recently in another thread. The drip guide directs oil from the front bearing & cam sprocket gap to the chain, You're good.
Ok that may be the issue, the first one I believe was a newer style it's stamped "hencho mexico". I'll try prying the other ones from the rear.

Thanks for the last bit about the drip guide, no need for a slinger or bolt with a hole.
I did notice the top left hole still has a passage way through to the inner block. That was the reason for curiosity.

I should have done a search, but all honesty I thought I was so mistaken. I figured I was looking at it wrong or hitting it wrong or something. I did do a search on rockauto for front crank seal then checked years available, it was all over the place from as far back as 1955 to 1991 so I made the wrong decision and Figueres they were all the same size holes in the timing cover.
My bad. Lesson learned... I hope. :lol:

Screenshot_20240522-204610.png

-
Back