timing chain difference

-

red cuda

Reaction score
whats the gains in having a double roller over a single? I got a new single roller in a rebuild kit that I bought. would that be sufficient for a very mild street engine?

I think so.

The only gains that a true double roller chain has is strength to pull the valvetrain along. High spring pressures, etc.

You will be fine. You may want a V6 tensioner to help keep timing steady, but all chains benefit from that.

Put it in and drive it.

i think so.

The only gains that a true double roller chain has is strength to pull the valvetrain along. High spring pressures, etc.

You will be fine. You may want a v6 tensioner to help keep timing steady, but all chains benefit from that.

Put it in and drive it.

^^^ x2 ^^^

If you're on a budget run it. If 40 bucks won't break the bank I would drop the double roller in, but that's just me. The reason I say that is the distance between the cam and crank, seems to be substantially more than brand x.

Once you compare the two you will see why.

For a mild build , like Dave and Tracy said, it will work.

Run the single, way better than than the plastic gear it is replacing.
In a mild application it will out live you.
What rebuild kit did you buy?

I pulled a sloppy replacement single chain out of my engine, when I rebuilt it.

It wasn't the original nylon silenced gear set, but it was had. The car had 176K on it at the time. The chain was stretched, but it ran. The only reason I pulled the engine apart was from new oil eating the cam lobes and lost a few.

If the cam survived, I could probably have hit the 200K mark on the second single roller.

A double will stretch less than a single, based on principal of load bearing area on the length between gear teeth on the tension side of the set.

With that said, you'll be fine. The engine will need a lot more by the time it needs replaced again, for what you're doing.

-
Back