Timing chain set for the street/driver?

-

Demonic

Reaction score
I know this has been covered a bit, but I thought I’d ask for 2024: What is a good brand for a low to medium performance build timing set. I have a 90k 360 that likely has a nylon gear and needs gaskets. I’m not talking race, I mean 95% street driven or a truck-like application? Edelbrock, Cloyes?

Rollmaster or Cloys true roller. If you can, degree the cam, not sure where you'd dig up specs if its stock but they are probably published somewhere.

I have had my Rollmaster in for 3 years, have the engine out now, timing chain is still tight.

I second the Rollmaster/JP. Timing sets are one area that I will now not cut corners. Timing needs to be stable and correct in even a stock motor. After 15 minutes run time, a stock single row timing set is looser than a hooker on payday.

this is the one I have

edel.jpg

edelb.jpg

Last edited:
I've had good luck out of the Edelbrock double roller chains. I replaced the fuel pump gasket on my 360 in the 71 Challenger, and checked the chain while the pump was out. Has about 10K miles on it since it went in in 95....still tight. Motor has the Mopar Performance 761 cam in it and gets the snot run out of it every time the key turns, so the chain has held up well. Iwis chains are very good also.

Last edited:
I have been using an Edelbrock double roller chain since 03.. it has over 200k miles on it and very little stretching.

I used the "stock" replacement Cloyes 340 chain...as mentioned above, got about 6 months out of it. however, I did get real good at changing the chain quickly.

Roll master, timing set is a thing I always get the best possible and consider it a maintenance item. However, have not had to replace my roll master since installing it. Been in there 2-3 times.

I used a late 90's maybe early 2000's cloyes race roller chain. Is this a good one? Now I'm concerned about quality. Since some of you say their quality has gone down.

Yes cloyes quality has gone way downhill
But if you have one from back then it might be alright. Not sure when they went to ****

-
Back