Timing Cover Question

-

Kernel Sanders

eating chicken wings and drinking beer
Reaction score
Hi I've done some searching but I cant seem to find an answer to a couple questions.

I have a 360 short block I'm going to be sending to the machine shop in the future and will be needing some parts and advice (likely many more than this as I progress) But to start...

Q1: Is there a difference between 318 & 360 timing covers 1975 and up?

Q2: If I have the crank internally balanced, can I use a damper from a 318 and a regular balanced flexplate and TQ?

Thanx

Q1. No

Q2. Yes, but an external balance damper and converter is a lot cheaper than Mallory metal.

They booth will fit with no problims.One couver will have the timeing marks on the left and anouther will have the timeing marks on the right.Almost sure that if the crank is ballance that way you use the 318 balancer and flex plate.if it were me I would leave the crank alone use the 360 balancer and just get the flex plate that is balanced and the you could use any convertor.

Awesome! Thank you both very much

Looks like I will leave it externally balanced. I will try to get ahold of the proper cover, but if not I'm sure I can remark the 360 external balance/damper.

Thank you again

They booth will fit with no problims.One couver will have the timeing marks on the left and anouther will have the timeing marks on the right.

The side the timing marks are on is a year thing not the engine displacement. Somewhere around 70 they went to a water pump with the inlet on the passenger side and the timing marks on the drivers side. All 360's are this way since they appeared after the change 318's and 340 it's going to be year dependant. The timing mark on the damper will follow the year two.

318 and 360 Magnum timing covers are different from LA engines due to the counter rotating water pump. Other than that any 1970 up to the last year LA engine (91 318's and 92 360's) cover is the same.

I found a nice aluminum one at the bone yard the other day from a 76 camper van. The timing marks are on the drivers side... took the damper too and the pullies and such

Thank you for everyones help!

-
Back