timing help please TBI 340 thx

-

kevin1969

Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I finally got my 340 holley TBI turbo build started. All the steps I'm about to tell you is with the intake from the turbo disconnected and carb hat off. I was just trying to get it started with a base map then move on from there. So I hooked up the computer and set up the base perimeters with all looking good I cranked the engine just as always I turned the distributor till she fired up. Once running I let it warm up for a bit all was looking good and running good. I pulled out the timing light to set the timing before any further tuning. once hooked up I checked it at a idle it was around *40 BTC. this is where my problem lies... I tried to adjust it back to a reasonable number it ran bad and stalled. So I tried again with the idle up some and same result. So basically I'm lost right here. I got it to about 30* at idle and around 48 almost 50* but any less and it runs bad. at idle the vacuum gage reads 5 pounds of vacuum.

A little background on the set up its a 10.5 to 1 340 with a mopar purple cam 526 lift and 292 duration. J heads 2.02 1.60 cast light polish work. MSD 6al box. I've had this motor for about 10 years in my 72 dart with a tunnel ram and two 450 holleys its always ran good. I don't remember what the timing was because I had built it so long ago.

I know this is not the ideal turbo motor but plan to build a replacement bottom in the future and don't plan to run much boost there is a 4psi spring in the waste gate. thanks for any help. my build thread is in the forced induction section.

-
Back