Timing Indicator Location '71 Slant 6

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
I have a 71 Swinger with a slant 6....my first slant experience.

I cannot locate a timing indicator on the timing cover. I have seen some pics that show it on the upper portion of the cover around 11 o'clock or so...mine doesn't have it.

Anyplace else it could be?

Thanks for all the great help here.

Brian

Sounds as if it is missing from your engine. On a '71, it would be on the passenger (distributor) side, readily visible just by standing at the front of the engine compartment and looking down at the crank pulley. You'll want to pick up a replacement timing cover and swap it on. '67-'77 is your interchange.

Welcome to slant-6 ownership. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. The engine has solid lifters and will need periodic valve adjustment. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

The marks are not on the timing cover, if I am thinking right. The marks are on a plate that is bolted to the front of the motor. If you can't see it them sometime in the past, someone has removed it.
Right Dan?

It's definitely not there. Until I get one, can I time it with vacuum reading for max vacuum at idle?

Have done all the tune up items with the exception of timing. Also switched to an Ignitor setup instead of points and did the fuel line mod.

Was running great, then a couple days ago, stopped for gas, started back up and she just started vibrating and running terrible. It's like a miss but seems to be all encompassing instead of just one cylinder, if that makes sense.

To me, it acts like a carb problem. Have not adjusted the valves yet but plan to.

Have had 2 other A Bodies in the past few years, both V-8's....this slanty is a different animal.

Thanks for all the help!

Start simple- check your spark plug wires. It could be as easy as one of them just fell off. It's happened to me!

If the car was sitting for a long time, it could also have a bent push rod like mine did (three of them) and the push rod literally fell off it's rocker.

It's annoying to have your car not running well- mine still needs work, but it's so satisfying when you've fixed it! :cheers:

Good luck. I too just purchased my first slant 6 car and listen to Dan. Dan is THE MAN! Thanks again for all of your help, Dan. :salute:

Yes, what is frustrating is that it ran great. Shut it off, went in to pay for gas and when I came back, the evil was inside the engine....lol

I have been over everything I did, wires, Ignitor, fuel lines. Gonna pull the plugs and check them out. Have Champions in there and am gonna switch to the NGK's.

I will find it. Agree on checking the simple things, usually is.

Hopefully this will help you a bit. These are pictures of my 71' slant at least you can see where the mark is supposed to be and tell if you are close. Mine appears to be welded on. These were taken with my cell so they're not that great.

Attachments

• Image018.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Image019.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 150
The timing indicator was bolted onto the manifold side of the timing cover in '61-'66. In '67 they moved the indicator to the distributor side and spot-welded it to the timing cover. In '78 they added a tube for a magnetic pickup. (in '60 the hash marks were stamped on the cover itself). You can adjust for max vacuum as a rough ballpark get-by measure til you have everything put back together correctly. Keep in mind the timing mark on the damper may not be accurate; the outer ring and the inner hub of the damper are separated by rubber which over the years will eventually let go; then the ring slips relative to the hub and the mark no longer indicates TDC. Other things to check for sudden poor running: Timing chain finally slack enough to jump, chewed up distributor drive pinion, broken or missing mechanical advance weight spring, also this '71 if it is stock will still have breaker points that could be burnt or otherwise worn out...

-
Back