Timing Issue

-

ALBA73

Reaction score
OK...so...first of all I would like to thank everyone who contributed and helped me with my build and the breakin of my rebuilt 318, THANK YOU!

The engine fires right up every time and runs nice and cool.

The problem is that i cant get my initial timing set using my light. My timing is set as close as I can get it but my issues are as follows.

As soon as the timing mark makes its way around the balancer enough so that I can actually see it the engine is already starting to bog and by the time it gets even close to 10* BTDC the engine stalls. Also while the engine is at this point there is poor throttle response and my RPM seems to fluctuate.

Hope I am explaining this right and giving enough info and please don't get too technical with me, I may be 45 years old but my mechanicing skills are much much younger LOL!!!

Thanks guys...as always!

Bobby.

hillbilly timing tape.

Put the timing mark lined up with cover mark at 10 BTDC, then put a mark on your balancer at 5 atdc from timing cover. That new mark is at 15BTDC.

Now you can time the engine with up to 25* BTDC using the cover marks.

You can roll the new mark that is 15btdc to then mark same way to get it so you have marks at 0, 15, and 30* BTDC.

I sometimes take a file and cut a line in the balancer and fill with black paint

Well I am from Scotland and according to Billy Ray Cyrus (so it must be true...right) the Scott's were the original Hillbilly' (whiskey, fiddles and all that stuff) so this solution might work perfect for me LOL!

I will try this tomorrow, Thank You!

-
Back