Timing mark

-

josekh7

Reaction score
Hey guys so I just about finished my 440 big block build but I just noticed that the water housing I bought covers the stock timing marker on my timing cover. My water pump is a passenger side version and my timing marker is also on that side. Can I just bolt another marker to the opposite side?

Yes, sort of.

Set motor to a verified TDC using a piston stop. Then attach a pointer to the engine block and mark the balancer so the marks line up. This will be your new 0° timing mark. I recomend using a timing tape on the balancer and clearcoating over it so it won't peal off.

It's a lot of work, but if done correctly, you will have an easy to read timing setup.

As said if there is a OE type pointer that will bolt to the dr side then that is perfect & find exact TDC on that side & make a white paint mark across the dampener just like the OE slit is on the other side & you're set. If you have a dialback that is all you need but I would suggest make several addit'l white paint marks for 10-15-17.5-20 and 36 even with a DB plus in my exp they can be off a degree or so. 0.0632683" around the circumference is (1) degree & you can cut a strip of thin white paper measured with your calipers to use as a ruler to make addit'l paint marks or the timing tape & as said clean the dampener surface well then install it then spray it with clear lacquer to seal it so it stays put.

-
Back