Timing procedure?

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
Ok so total FNG question here. Ivery never checked engine timing before. I know I need to disconnect vacuum advance from the distributor, and I need to clamp the line. do I also need to plug the the hole?

When I was a kid and had no real knowledge or tools i just unhooked it from the distributor and put a screw in the line and did it by ear. So essentially plugging the port to the carb and leaving the distributor unplugged.

Now I usually unhook the hose from the carb leaving it attached to the distributor and unplugged and cap it at the carb. Many times I can use the cap from the port i put the vacuum gauge on. So basically plug it at the carb how ever you best can and don't worry about the distributor

When I was a kid and had no real knowledge or tools i just unhooked it from the distributor and put a screw in the line and did it by ear. So essentially plugging the port to the carb and leaving the distributor unplugged.

Now I usually unhook the hose from the carb leaving it attached to the distributor and unplugged and cap it at the carb. Many times I can use the cap from the port i put the vacuum gauge on. So basically plug it at the carb how ever you best can and don't worry about the distributor

Ah, thanks for reminding me that I have a cap deteriorating that I need to swap out before it goes and I end up with a vacuum leak from it. :D

-
Back