Timing question 360

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys , so I put in a new motor in my dart . It's 1978 360 with Mopar aluminum heads , about 9to 1 compression , comp cam Extreme energy 256 intake 268 exhsust . Stock ignition with orange box and msd coil , hooker comp headers and a holley street avenger carb . I need to time it because it's not running right . So my question is , what should I set the timing on it ???

Thanks
Peter

Most small blocks like 34-36 total.
You dont have a radical cam.
I would start around 12 initial 34 total.

12 is a good place to start, but I'm betting it might like a little more. Once you have the initial, you will have to limit the mechanical to keep the total around 34 to 36.

set initial with "the vac gauge method". then set total (with can capped if used) to 35 (FBO $25 plate is the fastest/cheapest). then toss the heavy spring with the elongated loop & sub in a mr gasket or MP light spring for it for a start. then mix/match springs (any combo will adv in a linear rate) & ACE hardware has a nice selection or even a chebby one so that you are a bit under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears on your hottest/driest (most likely to ping) day THEN plug in the can & want to stay aways under the pinging point in everyday driving under varying load/rpm condiitions on your hottest/driest day, use a 3/32 allen wrench (I forget whether CW or CCW slows the rate (now much adv per in hg). ANY pinging is NOT acceptable. you want to stay fairly close to that line for max power and lastly you dont want the spring curve to start any sooner than 100 RPM above your hot in gear idle speed

Hey guys as always thank you for the help . I will try messing with the timing tonight , and see where it takes me . Hopefully I don't mess anything up haha .

Thanks
Peter

Ok I will look through that , thabks . But my problem is kind weird . So I bought a running motor from a guy . He started it ran it etc ... Everything was working great . I put they motor in my car didint change anything and it's not running to good , seems like the timing is off . So I was gonna check the timing on it and set if it was off but I neded the timing specs before I did anything .

Everything was working great . I put they motor in my car didint change anything and it's not running to good
had you pulled the dist for the install?
A vac line not hooked up? Holler how things turn out

-
Back