timing question

-

ir3333

Reaction score
long accepted that most mopars like somewhere around 34 - 36 total timing @ wot and too much timing causes detonation.
what are the effects of less timing ...besides loss of power?

retard it too much and it won't even start - I had initial at 0 when I first got ready to fire it up - - nada... - - well, except for the fire in the carburetor..

if your total initial plus mechanical is 30...then regular driving with vacuum advance would probably be 47 - 49 or whatever and all would be well...but at wide open throttle it drops back to 30 total.Would this cause harm or over heat your engine?

if your total initial plus mechanical is 30...then regular driving with vacuum advance would probably be 47 - 49 or whatever and all would be well...but at wide open throttle it drops back to 30 total.Would this cause harm or over heat your engine?

No, just a bit of performance and fuel economy loss.
Remember that for emissions the timing was set by the factory lower than that, until the RPM's got high enough to bring in all the mechanical.

I run my Magnum at 20 initial, add 14 with mechanical all in at 2,500 and a grand total of about 50-52 with vac advance under light throttle.
9:1 compression and I run 87 fuel with no problems.

o.k.
for guys who don't use vac advance and have a lazy curve ...say 35 degrees total all in at 3500 rpm
..they may very well be running 25 degrees total when cruising 50 mph or about 2500 rpm
with 3.23 gears,so just poor economy?

o.k.
for guys who don't use vac advance and have a lazy curve ...say 35 degrees total all in at 3500 rpm
..they may very well be running 25 degrees total when cruising 50 mph or about 2500 rpm

In my experience, yes.
It makes for a lazy motor and less than optimum fuel economy.
The more BTDC you can light the fire the more efficient the use of the available fuel, and of course lighting farther before TDC comes into play with RPM's

Last edited:
o.k.
And higher engine temp. You light the fire late and fuel is stilling burning in the exhaust manifolds or headers.

-
Back