Timing vs Valve Lash????????

-

64dart170

Reaction score
I have a million dumb questions so I figured what the heck, might as well give you guys 1 of them!
Yesterday I adjusted all the rockers numerous times on my 64 273. (long Story) Anyway, they were way out & noisy, now very quiet and smooth. There is now a new slight hesitation and surging at idle and not as quick to the git! Sooooo if all the valves are opening sooner should I retard the timing a little to bring it back to it's tire burning glory?
We seemed to have timing set a little advanced from the norm to get it to run good before the adjust.
Thoughts? Comments? Finger Gestures?????
Thanks Again!:-D

Having the valves loose is like having a smaller cam, the valves open latter and close earlier and have less lift. The norm is as the cam get bigger you need more initial timing not less. However, the difference in your situation is very small so I wouldn't think a change in timing is warranted.

BUT, if the car is not running as well now I would be concerned that you have some of the valves adjusted too tight and they aren't closing completely.

Yes, Like dgc333 said :-D and if they are not closing there goes your compression.

I am at the present doing an oil/filter lube and will go ahead and check clearances again! Also need to see if the pass side rocker shaft is lubbing yet. Thanks!
I don't think it had ever been done before, it sounded bad (Taps) but ran like a scalded dog!

-
Back