Timing

-
you happen to have the rpm's at idle handy in that manual? I am tweeking my rebuilt carb and new iginition since I eliminated points.

The book I was looking at is my old text book from when I was in tech school in the mid 1970's. It didn't give any more info, other than things like point gap, what plug to use, firing order, & some other VERY general info. Unless you have to pass some type of emissions test I'd use what made it run best without pinging.

Don't know what the book says, but all the 318s I've ever owned liked 7 degrees BTDC at idle with the distributor vacuum line plugged. Idle was 750 RPM.

i've always set my timing on the high side at 36 degrees, and the motor has always responded very well.......rev it up to 2500/2600 rpm's so it's fully advanced and set it at 36, see how it runs.......
higgs

advance it by ear, til it sounds right too you and cranks over on the turn. i keep mine at 800 rpm in park and 600 in gear.

Set it with a vacuum gauge, highest. Then read initial that it wonts, then adjust dist for total advance.

-
Back