Timming tape install ideas

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any one here have any ideas as to how I can keep timming tape on my 340 balancer,???. I have put on three tapes since I built my 340 and I can't keep them on. I have put it over fresh paint,then clear coated it and it still comes off.
Thinking of getting a new "Powerforce Plus" damper that has the timmng marks in it. Any one running one of those, ??.

Thanks Dave C.

barracudadave67 said:
Any one here have any ideas as to how I can keep timming tape on my 340 balancer,???. I have put on three tapes since I built my 340 and I can't keep them on. I have put it over fresh paint,then clear coated it and it still comes off.
Thinking of getting a new "Powerforce Plus" damper that has the timmng marks in it. Any one running one of those, ??.

Thanks Dave C.

Scuffed up my stock balancer, put the tape on, and clear coated the balancer. been on there for about 5000miles or so, daily use, driven hard. :thumblef: Who's brand of tape are you using? Did you put it over fresh slick paint, or scuffed?

Take the balancer off the motor. Put the tape on and with a sharp file or a hacksaw blade, put the marks on yourself. Put marks at 90 after, 180 after, 270 after, and wherever your total timing should be (mine is at 36). Never come off either. put some white paint in the spots you cut and you're done. If you want you can get a number-letter punch set and label everything too. Total cost $0.00

don

I've run Mr.Gasket timing tape twice, and neither time has it come off! The key is to thoroughly degrease the paint on the outside of the damper before you apply the tape; brake cleaner or alcohol on a rag works well; then dry it with another clean, dry rag and apply the tape. You might try covering it with clear packing tape (overlapping the ends) and trimming with a razor blade to fit the damper.

What I did was removed the paint. I put it on the bare metal. Make sure you wipe the metal with a good degreaser. Clear it after you put the tape on. It has been on thier for 11 years and 36000 miles. You just need to remove the paint as wide as the tape.

I am using an MSD tape, out it on over fresh paint (couple of months old) after cleaning it with solvent. It's been on there for a year and about 5k miles.

The answer to your dmaper question is "no"...however if SPEEDOMOTIVE uses them for their motors they can't be too bad, I bought a TCI RATTLER and now I can't get my pulleys to line up right, of course I am still working the issue.

-
Back