Tiny pin holes in weld

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
OK, Ive did the light test to see if any pin holes could be seen through a weld, I circle the ones light comes through and then touch it with the welder. I grind down the welds and recheck with the light, more tiny pin holes. Im about to cut out the whole darn section out and start over, its driving me nuts Any tips?

a gas tank or something?MUst need to hold liquid to have to be that tight.If it is a quarter panel,or floor pan or something,its gonna have to have some putty of somekind over it any ways,so why try to get every little hole?

If you're getting holes in the bead, then you need to clean the metal better before welding. The holes are from contaminated metal.

George

Its inside my fenderwell, I closed up the area were my shocks used to come up through, because im running the alterktion suspension. I was just concerned that if I didnt get the tiniest holes filled water could get up under there and give me issues. I guess sense Im gonna use a bed liner material under that area, it should cover it up.
You cant see the pin holes in the pic, but this is what Im doing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

grind it down, use a BRAND NEW wire brush and try it again.
make sure the other side of what you are welding is also clean.
make sure your gun is clean.
make sure you got enough gas flow if you are using gas.

once again BRAND NEW wire brush. don't use it for anything else.
cleanliness produces good welds.

You can put on a skim coat of "All Metal" filler and call it good. But thats the easy way out. Although that stuff is rust and moisture proof, I think it would be fine if the filler was topcoated with a good primer and then paint. I used it on the seam of some of my welds even though I didnt see any pinholes, it was more of a just-in-case kinda thing. I would not use regular filler unless its over the All-Metal stuff.

I cant get to the underside part of the area well, but I did think that it might be because of the dirtyness on the underside.

I got a question.. Since the shock support is gone, why not remove that hump and gain a heck of a lot more space ?

I cant get to the underside part of the area well, but I did think that it might be because of the dirtyness on the underside.

do what you can man. i could not weld an aluminum intake back together because there was too much carbon. had to jb weld it.

-
Back