tiny spark???

-

BigRichieO

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
After my club's car show a few weeks ago when I was putting my car in the garage I noticed that it really started to bog down. I didn't really think much about it because I was going up a slight hill in reverse and keeping my speed down (4 speed car) I thought that it was just a little loaded up on fuel. The next weekend I wanted to take the car out for a little drive and it wouldn't start. Again I didn't think much about it just used my daily driver and the ride wasn't as fun. So in the last few days I had a little extra time and I went to start the Dart again and it won't go, I messed with the coil wire because it comes loose some times and played around with some other stuff and it still won't start. Then I pulled a plug wire and checked for spark, I have a spark but it is the tiniest little spark I have ever seen and it is more orange in color than white. This spark is even smaller than a spark that you can make dragging your feet on the carpet and touching the door handle. I don't think that I would have even seen if I the car was in the driveway or in the sunlight. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should change out first.

It has a 340 that is very stock with electronic ignition nothing special, any help is greatly appreciated!!

well if its been a good while since a tuneup, i would start with a new cap rotor, plug wires and see if that helps. then if you see no difference in the spark, replace coil , then the ign. control box .

Got the car running last weekend. Started with the ballast resister $4.00, then the cap $9.00 and rotor $5.00, coil $22.00, skipped the plug wires, then the ignition box $24.00, it was the ignition box. I now have spares of all my electrical stuff except the box that was bad.

-
Back