tips for spraying primer

-
And remember to keep paint stirred and strained too.
Don't you just hate it when you run out of strainers and sticks :toothy10:

Back to town I go :banghead: :-D

And remember to keep paint stirred and strained too.
Don't you just hate it when you run out of strainers and sticks :toothy10:

Back to town I go :banghead: :-D

Mike, talk nice to your paint supplier next time you're there, and see if you can't get him to part with one of the metal stir sticks. I have a nice chromed one, probably 3/4" wide, with a can opener on the top end. With today's heavy primers. the old wood sticks can break pretty easily, especially if the product has been sitting for a while and the solids have all settled to the bottom of the can. It's like stirring up an already chewed tobacco plug. :) And with the metal stick, a quick wipe with a shop towel and it clean and ready to use again.
I always make sure I have a really good supply of strainers, mixing cup, and gun wash on hand. With the paint products we have today, all 3 are indispensable.

Hey OldVart,

i still have to look into what gun and tip im using....might not be for a week or so till i find out...when i do find out i will post back on this thread....thanks for all the help so far

Matthew

I have some bad news, if you have little divots in the paint, spraying on another layer will leave little bubbles under the new primer, what will happen in the future, once you cover it with paint, is that will be able to see everywhere there was a bubble, it will shrink more in those spots. If I were you, sand it down to where the surface is smooth, then spray two new coats, then block sand it. BTW, I used about 1 1/2 gallons of Featherfill G2 on my 68 Dart.

I have some bad news, if you have little divots in the paint, spraying on another layer will leave little bubbles under the new primer, what will happen in the future, once you cover it with paint, is that will be able to see everywhere there was a bubble, it will shrink more in those spots. If I were you, sand it down to where the surface is smooth, then spray two new coats, then block sand it. BTW, I used about 1 1/2 gallons of Featherfill G2 on my 68 Dart.

Agree.....sand down the bubbles. Adding primer to cover up the issues wil only lead to shrinkback, cause adhesion problems and lead to an uneven final product.

I think the using the roller caused the problem.

hey flyboy, have you actually experienced this before? is that how you know? i dont understand how a divot would create a bubble? thats the whole point of me using the thinner too i think when i spray, so it goes on thinner and fills it in....so far im just putting putty in all the divots...should that be okay? also, how bad will this shrinking be? and how long do you suggest i let the primer sit so that its done shrinking before i paint it?

one more thing though guys....who here has actually sprayed primer over pitting before? not that i dont trust you guys, but i mean the best advice would obviously come from the guys who have experience with this situation and what happened to them when they sprayed over it.

Was this primer meant to be rolled on ? I know they have roll on primers now but improper application could have been your problem. Cover it up could lead to problems because of the reason it left the pits. It may not be done poping and putting more primer over it could make things worse.

How big are the pits that your filling them with filler ? I think if you have the time to fill them with filler and sand the filler down then re prime you would have been better off sanding the primer off and then re priming.

well like i said guys, i have had this primer sanded down now for about 2 weeks maybe more, and i have sanded it so that i have gone to the original paint or bare metal in some areas....this constant sanding has reduced these pits to the point that they can only be seen with guidecoat, but cant be felt by rubbing my barehand over them- thats how small they are...the deeper ones I am filling in with putty to be safe for when i spray, but what i dont understand is how the high build wont fil these areas- i mean isnt it supposed to fill in small imperfections? thats what these look like to me, and with enough coats of it i think it should fill them well....also, im thinking it wasnt so much solvent pop, but the fact that it was rolled on heavily, so i dont think its an issue of more bubbling....the divots i dont think are bubbles, just imperfections of the roller...and if i was to sand it all down and start over it would take me much longer than puttying the areas that need it.

just looking for anyone who may have actually ran into this before and what they have done

-
Back