Tire and Rim Dilemma

-

moparmadness

71 Scamp
Reaction score
I just picked up a set of used Cragar SS rims and Tires for a deal ($360) and I want to put them on my 71 Scamp, I just have some fitment issues. The wheels are; (2) 15x7-4 1/4" bs with 245/60-15 tires and (2 ) 15x8-4 ½”bs with 255/60-15 tires. I know the 245's definitely WON’T fit on the front. The 7" 245s fit great on the rear with no fitment issues however I would have to sell the 8" 255s and get a pair of smaller ones for the front. I put the 8" 255s on and they rub against my fender lip when going around corners but man do they look good. Has anybody ran this size on the rear? Anybody cut the lip back or bent it under? If so what kind of results. If I can achieve this I’ll just throw a set of 205/65s or 215/60s on the 7" rims for the front and be happy. I hate to invest in another set of rims for the front when I already have these. I have one of each on the rear currently for test fitting...... see pics .... 15x7 245/60 on the passenger side and the 15x8 255/60 on the drivers side. Any body have any ideas?

000_0420(2).jpg

000_0421(2).jpg

000_0422(2).jpg

000_0423(2).jpg

If the 255s only rub when going around corners then I'd try "rolling" the lip on the rear fenders. If you're not familiar with the term, You take something round like a pipe, dowell, baseball bat, etc. & wedge it between the tire & inner fender lip & roll it along the inside of the lip. It bends the lip up & gives more clearance.

I think you might be able to run the 7" rims on the front if the tire size is right. On my '64 I used a 14" wheel with similar backspacing (it was the Rocket brand version of the SS) but the wheel hit the outer edge of the control arm, so I had to use spacers. Either 5/16" or 7/16", It was a long time ago. Either way, I'm older & wiser & would stay away from the spacers. The 15" wheels should clear the control arms with no problems. Your biggest problem should be figuring out what tire size to use. I ran an E70 14 & had a little contact with the front lower edge of the fender on the left front only when making a sharp right turn uphill into a driveway. Later I switched to an E60 14 & never had a problem again. These were 14" tires but as long as the width & outside diameter of the tire were similar it doesn't matter what the rim size is. Since you shouldn't need the spacers, your tires should clear the outer edges of the fenders better than mine did. I can't really tell you how these tire sizes relate to the P metric tire sizing used these days. This was all on my '64 Cuda, but I'd think yours should be similar. It all comes down to careful measuring, trial & error, & STUFFING THE BIGGEST DAMN TIRE you can get away with into the fenderwells, but you probably already knew that. :blob:

:burnout:

So that's what "rolling the Lip" is. I was thinking of cutting the lip half off at the top and "blend" the cut down the sides. I could use my Dremel Toll to do the job. The 'lip' is about an inch wide were its rubbing, I was thinking of removing the chrome trim, cutting the body lip then replace the trim and roll it around the cut area. Anyone done anything like that??????

Whats the offset on the 8" wheels? For the first time I am glad someone rolled the lip on my dusters fender wells

Because my Signet had the low rear wheel wells, and the rims are a deep dish style the tires (P245 60 14) would only rub going over bumps or if someone was sitting in the rear. I ended up lightly rolling and pounding with a rubber mallet on the inner well. (worked good). My total clearance is only about .25 inch, but safe...as long as I never get a rear blow-out :notworth:

DSCF0004 (Small).JPG

DSCF0006 (Small).JPG

DSCF0005 (Small).JPG

OldVart said:
What rim width and offset do you have there Jimmy boy?

Sid, mine are the "old" 14" Cragar SS (early 70s). All 4 rims are 7". If i'm correct the offset is 1" negitive. (giving a 4" deep dish look) with 3" back spacing. I'm not "really" up on this myself. :salut:

There`s another thread somewhere here that shows Mtnemos Dart with 275/60`s in the factory well without offset hangers or moving the springs.I don`t know if he rolled the lips, or what the backspacing is on his rims, but you might check it out.

We need to get a fact sheet here on what fits. My Duster is going to need some big boots on ehr this summer but I dont have the cash or urge to get wild. And theres nothing better then Cragers in my mind.

JimmyBoy those tires look a little worn out. How'd that happen?

Can anyone chime in here. I want to go with 14x6" cragers for the front and 15x8" or 7" if I have to for the rear. What offsets do I need? would love to stuff those 255/60's on my Duster. The fender lips are already pinched.

I have 15 x7`s on my 68 Barracuda with 4.5 backspacing. I`m using a 255/60- 15 tire with at least 1.25 inches to spare before I come close to the lip. Evidently your wheelwells are not as deep as the Barracudas, but you should be able to get a 255/60 in there without a lot of trouble, if you get the backspacing right.

You can't fit a 255 on the back? I have 235/60R15s on the back and they look puny. I can EASILY fit a 255/60 on the back. I'm thinking of trying for a 275/60 IF the diameter isn't too much. I would REALLY like a 295/50, but that would definately require rolling the lip on my car.

I have 15x7 on the front with 215/60 and there are no clearance issues.

8209120579.jpg

7411404472.jpg

-
Back