Tire and Rim Ideas 71 Valiant

-

moparmadness

71 Scamp
Reaction score
I just picked up a 71 Valiant and I'm looking for a Tire and Rim combo to put on it. I'm trying to come up with Ideas on what will fit, I want the slight 'Drag' stagger size look (smaller front, bigger rear), but of course I want to go the cheap rout and keep the stock rear end and suspension, I'm just going for the look. I had Cragar SS's in mind with probably BFG Radial TA's.
Anybody have any Ideas on sizes? I'm trying to squeeze the largest tires on the rear that I can fit with out too much modification to the suspension. Also rim size and offset???

Pics of my car and a couple of Idea "Wheel Look Cars" below...

Valiant for Web.jpg

70 Swinger 2.jpg

1969DartWSS1.jpg

You'll probably have trouble finding the SS wheels for cheap. They quit making them in the small bolt pattern. You might try a used set of Rallye (sp?) wheels. American Racing still makes a slotted aluminum wheel inthe small bolt pattern.

:burnout:

It might not sound like a money saving way to go, but.....find a 73 or later a body with a 8 1/4 rear and take it and the front disc brakes. You'll have the large bolt pattern and will have no trouble finding good wheels and tires (used) for a good price. I got a real nice set of 15x5 and 15x8.5 centerlines with new MT frontrunners and M&H street slicks for $500. You'll pay that much for 4 14 inch small bolt pattern cragars. Think about it.

don

Any one know the bolt pattern on my car? What's the difference between the 71 and 73 on bolt pattern? Will the front brake spindals off a 73 on bolt right on my car???

Your car should have (as long as nobody has changed anything) a 5 on 4" bolt pattern. The later cars have a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern, same as a Ford & AMC. These are MUCH EASIER to find wheels to fit. The later parts are pretty much a bolt on deal. Go to the tech archives on this site and read about brake upgrades. This should get you started as to what will swap onto your car.

:burnout:

71 Dart Drum to Disk Conversion and 8.25 rear. Do it. Wheels for the 5 x 4 bolt pattern are "real" hard to come, the brake conversion is pretty simple and the car will sit and look much better.

You can still get Centerline Autodrags in 5 on 4" They have
15x3.5
15x5.5 with 3-5/16 backspace
15x7 with 3-5/16 backspace
15x8.5 with 3-5/16 OR 4-7/8 backspace
I have them on my Challenger with BFG's and It gives it that old school look.

ProStreetDuster said:
You can still get Centerline Autodrags in 5 on 4" They have
15x3.5
15x5.5 with 3-5/16 backspace
15x7 with 3-5/16 backspace
15x8.5 with 3-5/16 OR 4-7/8 backspace
I have them on my Challenger with BFG's and It gives it that old school look.

They would look sweet on that car. But they are not cheap! I would get a set of Cragars, you can still find them if you look around. Especially if you don't mind buying them used.

You can also get American Racing Outlaw II's in 5 on 4"

If memory serves me correctly, demon seed had a post about a month ago advising that Cragar had stopped making the SS wheels for the 5 x 4" small bolt pattern. That narrows the choices down even further.

-
Back