tire choices

Which tire combo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

roccodart440

Reaction score
Ordering new wheels and tires. I picked out the rim style but need to pick out the tires so here are the choices.

#1) 15" wheels with 28x12.50 sportsman pro's and front runners

#2) 18" rear with 325/40R18 drag radials and 17" fronts with radial front runners.

Ordering new wheels and tires. I picked out the rim style but need to pick out the tires so here are the choices.

#1) 15" wheels with 28x12.50 sportsman pro's and front runners

#2) 18" rear with 325/40R18 drag radials and 17" fronts with radial front runners.

those are polar opposites. whats the car built for? drags with occasional street driving? 15" for sure

if its a car built to handle and be a driver then maybe lil bit of track time then the 18" wheel combo.

It see's a lot of street time. some drag time.

They aren't really polar opposite. Both setups are drag oriented but the look will differ a bit.

I need to see the car and your rim style choice.

It see's a lot of street time. some drag time.

They aren't really polar opposite. Both setups are drag oriented but the look will differ a bit.

a drag car likes tall thin side wall tires. they help with the launch. the low profile tires dont do as well. trust me i know. i have a 325/45/17 on the back of my car. they are 28" tall and they hook better then a standard radial but there is more to be desired.

a drag car likes tall thin side wall tires. they help with the launch. the low profile tires dont do as well. trust me i know. i have a 325/45/17 on the back of my car. they are 28" tall and they hook better then a standard radial but there is more to be desired.

I understand the sidewall construction bit but the profile isn't too different between 18/28 vs. 15/26 which is what I had.

Wheels are RTS71 welds with black centers.

I wont try and convince you one way or the other.....sounds like you're leaning radial. But since I'm old school, I voted for the Bias ply M/T's. I ran soft compound M&H's back in the day and had good luck with them, although there's a lot more power being run on the street these days :D. A downside from the cost perspective is the Spt/Pro's require a tube. While surely the radials will give a better overall driving experience, I'd be a little more concerned about getting caught in the rain with the D/R tread pattern.....or lack there of.

Good luck either way and don't forget to get us some pics in the spring. :thumleft:

I wont try and convince you one way or the other.....sounds like you're leaning radial. But since I'm old school, I voted for the Bias ply M/T's. I ran soft compound M&H's back in the day and had good luck with them, although there's a lot more power being run on the street these days :D. A downside from the cost perspective is the Spt/Pro's require a tube. While surely the radials will give a better overall driving experience, I'd be a little more concerned about getting caught in the rain with the D/R tread pattern.....or lack there of.

Good luck either way and don't forget to get us some pics in the spring. :thumleft:

Rick, i've run sportsman pro's for over ten years. They work great as far as hooking up. You can run them tubeless at least for a while. They are fine in the rain. cornering is crap. I ran 25PSI in mine. They were 26x10.50/15.

Sorry, but 18 inch wheels are NOT drag oriented. If you want drag oriented, go with the 15s. For looks, that's purely preference, so go with what YOU think looks better. You're gonna be the one driving it.

Sorry, but 18 inch wheels are NOT drag oriented. If you want drag oriented, go with the 15s. For looks, that's purely preference, so go with what YOU think looks better. You're gonna be the one driving it.
X2! ^^

Don't confuse profile with overall height & diameter. The aspect ratios are completely different & will make a big difference.
Buy the combo that fits what you will be doing with the car the most. If you go for looks then you can just get a set of cheaper wheels & a set of slicks for when you want to go racing.

I guess I assumed drag radials were drag oriented.

they are a niche market. a low profile tire will not hook as well as a tire with a larger aspect ratio but same compound and width.

Point I was trying to make is a 18" rim with 28" tall tires has a 5" sidewall height.

Car used to have a 15" rim with a 26" tall tire which will have a 5.5" sidewall height.

I wouldn't call the 18's low profile in this case.

Rocco ,have run both. Depending on the suspension, and how quickly it hits is another matter. Done both,different tires and cars. The Sportsman Pro's bite hard,without the tubes. My El Camino ,28.5/10/15's planted enough to pick the left front wheel off the ground. Suspension info needed ,my man.....

Rocco ,have run both. Depending on the suspension, and how quickly it hits is another matter. Done both,different tires and cars. The Sportsman Pro's bite hard,without the tubes. My El Camino ,28.5/10/15's planted enough to pick the left front wheel off the ground. Suspension info needed ,my man.....

Leaf spring rear with snubber and front clamped. Inboard kit. Front QA1 Kmember and lowers, rms uppers.

-
Back