tire height

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
ok, 3:73 rear gear dana 60, 727, 440/505 [email protected] solid roller, ported-raised port heads (flow 352 @ .600), expected weight 3200 + or - , full caltrac set up, stretched fender wells( room for 30" tall tire, not tubbed-3/4" offset spring hangars. have brand new 275 60 15 drag radials on it now. do you guys think w/ all the torque and h.p. this engine "should make,"
that a 26 x10 1/2, or 11" slick will be better w/ the 3:73`s than a 10.5" x29-30" tall tire (larger footprint) would give the best bite ????

tall is better then wider , the dragging foot pint is longer for a better bit on higher pound per square inch , keeping it hooked longer on the launch .

I would stick with the 26" tall tire because the 29 tall and 3:73......you will definitely need a gear change.

A couple of years ago I was running a 5.14 gear and broke it ,I changed to a 3.50 gear and only lost a half a tenth and gained 1 mph crossing the finish line in second. 6.34 @ 108 with the 5.14, 6.29@ 109 with 3.50. Of course 1/8 mile.

The taller the better and then gear it for whatever your application.
If you are striving for low ET you will need to use all the tranny gears.
If you just want to know the MPH and thus the hp and ET-potential,using 2 gears out of three, or three out of four, when trapping at the correct rpm, or near to the correct rpm, will generate a pretty good case for where she's at. From the Mph and car weight, there are formulas to compute approximate hp, and from that, it is possible to estimate the low-ET within a narrow window. But if you trap too far away from the optimum rpm, the accuracy goes away.The better it hooks the more accurate the results.A windshield-mounted accelerometer, with an accurate weight input, will generate a pretty good result also, and you don't need a race track to use it, although nobody is recommending that you use the maindrag of your village!

as ajforms said it right . in the trans gearing and clutch hook up or conv'r grab , funnycars run 3's in the r/e with the monster slicks , and get it done with staging clutching .

and just to add from your engine spec.... figuring around 700hp, probably more if you have CR?/3200lbs a 26" tall slick/3.73 will run you out at around 6700+slip if auto, a 10.5x29.5" around 5900+slip which looks the better option.

and just to add from your engine spec.... figuring around 700hp, probably more if you have CR?/3200lbs a 26" tall slick/3.73 will run you out at around 6700+slip if auto, a 10.5x29.5" around 5900+slip which looks the better option.
HOTMETAL, and KIMMER: that's an opinion I like ! thinking along those lines ---thinking I need all the tire I can get on her.----------thanks,bob

-
Back