tire help on size

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
im looking to get some new tires and want to get some wider ones for my 72 demon.. i measured my car backspacing at just about 6 inches.. would the rim and tires i have listed below have an issue of rubbing. tire is 11 inches wide. no spring relocation
  • Bolt Pattern: 5X4
  • Backspacing: 4.625
  • Wheel Size: 15x8
    P275/60R15

Last edited:
what kind of clearance would i have.. between the spring and tire sidewall

Should work. Based on those measurements I would say you've got an SBP 8 3/4? The 275 is about the biggest tire you can fit on a Demon/Duster/Dart Sport without moving the springs or modifying the quarter lip, so, depending on the body tolerances of your particular car it could be close in some spots. I think with the SBP set up you should be ok with that backspace. You should have between 3/8" and a 1/2" to the springs with that backspace by the math.

It's also about the tallest tire you can fit out back without shimming the hangars back a little to center the wheels in the tubs.

Any Demon Duster. will fit a 15x8 wheel with 4.5" BS and a 275/60/15

That's really not true. If you've converted to BBP you need more than 4.5" of backspace on a 15x8 if you want to keep the tires inside of the quarters. 5" up to 5.25" is where you need to be if you've gone to BBP axles and brakes. Even on a SBP car 4.5" isn't always best, on a car that's stock ride height or lower it'll be tight to the quarter lips. All you have to do is look at that wheel mount to spring measurement. 6". That means a 4.5" backspace is going to leave at least a 1/2" to the springs, but realistically more. And you don't need more, especially if you're trying to avoid cutting the quarter lips. Run that spring spacing down to the minimum, more like 3/8". I think the 4.625 backspace is a better deal than 4.5", worst comes to worst a small spacer fixes too much backspace. Too little and you've got no options.

And, if you have a 7.25 and not an 8 3/4 the measurements are different again.

I have that setup on my car now with no problems at all 4.5" bs seems to be the correct number. But whatever.

With 4-1/4" of backspace you will have about 3/8" from the tire sidewall to the springs with a 275 60 15.

Stock a-body 8-3/4..

images.png

View attachment 1715032783

Last edited:
With 4-1/4" of backspace you will have about 3/8" from the tire sidewall to the springs with a 275 60 15.

Stock a-body 8-3/4..

View attachment 1715032784
View attachment 1715032783

Well, by that math everyone with 275's and 15x8's with 4.5" of backspace would only have an 1/8" of clearance to the springs. Since I know for a fact that's not the case, your math is off.

Also, the OP gave a measurement of 6" for his wheel mount to spring distance. Assuming he's right, that measurement means he'd have plenty of space even with the 4.625" backspace. That 6" measurement is almost the same as my A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles. I'm a little suspicious, but it's not a crazy number and actual measurements are better than basing it purely off of the math. As long as it's close he should be fine.

Yeah but at that ride height you don't even have to worry about quarter clearance. You could hang the tires 2" outside the quarters and it wouldn't matter.

I'm just saying that is what I am running and that's what l have for clearance.

I won't waste any more time trying to help, good luck!

Last edited:
Well, by that math everyone with 275's and 15x8's with 4.5" of backspace would only have an 1/8" of clearance to the springs. Since I know for a fact that's not the case, your math is off.

Also, the OP gave a measurement of 6" for his wheel mount to spring distance. Assuming he's right, that measurement means he'd have plenty of space even with the 4.625" backspace. That 6" measurement is almost the same as my A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles. I'm a little suspicious, but it's not a crazy number and actual measurements are better than basing it purely off of the math. As long as it's close he should be fine.

Yeah but at that ride height you don't even have to worry about quarter clearance. You could hang the tires 2" outside the quarters and it wouldn't matter.

its like 5 3/4 to 5 7/8 so very close to 6.. i can always get a better measurement tomorrow..but if you say i have clearance im happy

Any Demon Duster. will fit a 15x8 wheel with 4.5" BS and a 275/60/15
Assuming it has the large bolt pattern correct? Mine has a sbp rear and i got to run 1" adapters to 1. Adapt the sbp axles to lbp wheels and 2. Space the wheel out far enough to run 275's on the back, i have sbout 3/8" clearance between the tire and spring and about 1/4" between the lip of the wheel well and tire

I see a lot of threads like this - a pretty popular topic of discussion.

I figured out my tire/wheel solutions with a gadget I whipped up in my workshop. Worked PERFECTLY, front and back. Wheel diameter, rim width, backspace, tire size, section width - it's all there and you can play around with it till you're satisfied.
Measuring for wheels 1.jpg
Measuring for wheels 3.jpg
Measuring for wheels 4.jpg
100_5057.JPG
100_5059.JPG

Assuming it has the large bolt pattern correct? Mine has a sbp rear and i got to run 1" adapters to 1. Adapt the sbp axles to lbp wheels and 2. Space the wheel out far enough to run 275's on the back, i have sbout 3/8" clearance between the tire and spring and about 1/4" between the lip of the wheel well and tire
i have sbp

Should work. Based on those measurements I would say you've got an SBP 8 3/4? The 275 is about the biggest tire you can fit on a Demon/Duster/Dart Sport without moving the springs or modifying the quarter lip, so, depending on the body tolerances of your particular car it could be close in some spots. I think with the SBP set up you should be ok with that backspace. You should have between 3/8" and a 1/2" to the springs with that backspace by the math.

It's also about the tallest tire you can fit out back without shimming the hangars back a little to center the wheels in the tubs.

That's really not true. If you've converted to BBP you need more than 4.5" of backspace on a 15x8 if you want to keep the tires inside of the quarters. 5" up to 5.25" is where you need to be if you've gone to BBP axles and brakes. Even on a SBP car 4.5" isn't always best, on a car that's stock ride height or lower it'll be tight to the quarter lips. All you have to do isDuster at that wheel mount to spring measurement. 6". That means a 4.5" backspace is going to leave at least a 1/2" to the springs, but realistically more. And you don't need more, especially if you're trying to avoid cutting the quarter lips. Run that spring spacing down to the minimum, more like 3/8". I think the 4.625 backspace is a better deal than 4.5", worst comes to worst a small spacer fixes too much backspace. Too little and you've got no options.

And, if you have a 7.25 and not an 8 3/4 the measurements are different again.
it feels like once a day you get on here and talk about Wheel clearances and telling people 275s will Fit on a Demon & Duster. Does it ever get tiring? You have helped me lots of times so im Not complaing just Curious.

it feels like once a day you get on here and talk about Wheel clearances and telling people 275s will Fit on a Demon & Duster. Does it ever get tiring? You have helped me lots of times so im Not complaing just Curious.
Just keeps blu on his toes lol

Mopar are you running lbp or sbp wheels?

Whats nice about that wheel adapter company is they can make them as thin as 3/4" thick which is handy if you happen to have two different offset wheels like i did. One raylle was 1/4" off from the other one, both are 15x7

Last edited:
-
Back