Tire options limited------------

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
Stopped to talk to the tire store about tires for my car. I have 15" X 6' mopar rally wheels for my car and his recommendation was for 235-60R-15 all around. That tire is only 26" tall and I was hoping for 245-60R-15 on the back and something smaller on the front. Car is 67 Barracuda with stock springs, hangers and wheel wells. Opinions please???????

with a wider rim I am using the Nitto N555R in 275/60/15 -107V they fit my 69Fastback without modification but I have 8" wide rims . They are 28" tall and a 11" wide on the back , still running the 245/60/14 on the front with rolled lips up front .

PS I am looking at doing the offset hanger to get a 12" tire on the back but only if I can find a sticky one that is 29" tall

Those tires will look really small on the rear of your barracuda. I run 275-60-15 on 15x7. I would go no smaller than 255-60-15 in your case.

Those tires will look really small on the rear of your barracuda. I run 275-60-15 on 15x7. I would go no smaller than 255-60-15 in your case.
Thanks for the input. I guess I could buy wider wheels for the back. I can't change spring location from stock at this point. And I do have the 8 1/4 width. What wheel and offset will fit? I would want the 275-60-15 if I did all that.

Thanks for the input. I guess I could buy wider wheels for the back. I can't change spring location from stock at this point. And I do have the 8 1/4 width. What wheel and offset will fit? I would want the 275-60-15 if I did all that.

Why not just run offset shackles instead of a full relocation?

Check out

MT 90000024552

Coker 72100

Hoosier

You'd have to move the pads over but no other mods are required. I.e. mini tubs, frame cutting etc.

I ,too, am using 235/60-15 on 7" wides . With a 4" backspace . No tubs, no spring move in . Suggestion: Take a rim you are using . Go to salvage yard and get a used tire that you THINK might work . It doesn't have to be pretty as long as it holds air . Mount tire on rim and install on car . Check clearances . If you can get several tires of different sizes , say 245/60, 245/70, 255/50, etc., etc.. I think 235/60, 245/70 is about the best you can do without mods. Fronts can go narrower. Good luck

15x7 or 15x8 with 4 1/2" back space works really well.

So, I looked up the definition of backspacing and know that it is the distance from the inside of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface. Then I checked the backspace on my wheels and discovered that it is 4.25", these are 6" wide. So an 8" wide wheel with 4 1/2" backspacing will move my wheel 1/4" closer to the leaf springs and 1.75" outboard, closer to the wheel well. Armed with this information, I think I am ready to buy two of the wider wheels for the back and put on the biggest tires that don't rub the springs or wheel well. I am just not sure what size tire that will be but there is always air shocks:)

I can buy 15 X 8 with 4 1/2" BS from Summit Racing. With my stock spring location and wheel wells could I fit 275-60-15 with this wheel?
That is what Im running on my 67 notchback and my 69 Fastback both with no problem. I am running 8 3/4 rears factory width on mine though.

That is what Im running on my 67 notchback and my 69 Fastback both with no problem. I am running 8 3/4 rears factory width on mine though.
Thanks v8, that is what I will do for my car. The 8 1/4 is a little wider than the 8 3/4 but I will be fine.

the widest tire I would put on a 8" wheel is a 255=10" sidewall width. how much air pressure do U want to run? do U want the footprint to be full and flat? a 245 on a 6" wide wheel is too much, to get a full footprint U could only run around 18 psi. on the front I would go 205/65

Thanks v8, that is what I will do for my car. The 8 1/4 is a little wider than the 8 3/4 but I will be fine.
Today I measured my clearances, with my 15" X 4.25" backspace and a 215-65R-15 roller tire on the wheel I have 9/16" clearance from the sidewall to the leaf spring.
Going outboard there is no clearance issues. It looks to me like I need a 15" X 8" X 4" backspace wheel which appears to me to require a custom made wheel. I can get an 8" wheel with 4.25 backspace off the shelf but I don't know how much tire I could get on that and clear the springs. I will be buying new wheels for the rear of the car and I will have two powdercoated 15" LBP 4.25" backspace wheels for sale. Need to get this right-glad it's winter I would hate to be trying to solve this if I could drive the car----:)

the widest tire I would put on a 8" wheel is a 255=10" sidewall width. how much air pressure do U want to run? do U want the footprint to be full and flat? a 245 on a 6" wide wheel is too much, to get a full footprint U could only run around 18 psi. on the front I would go 205/65
Today I found a good tire size calculator. I put all my existing dimensions into my CAD program to scale and tried a bunch of combinations and offsets with 8" wide wheels. I landed on 255-60-15 as the ideal tire with either a 4" or 4 1/4" backspace wheel. I also found a custom wheel builder who can provide any backspace I need but I haven't verified them yet. So, I am getting there.

cool. throw that 215/65 roller on the front and see
I have a 205-65-15 roller on the front now and I know the 215 will fit fine. I talked to the wheel builder and he will build me an 8" wheel with as close to a 4" backspace as he can get. less than 4.25 gets tough because of the way the wheel breaks away from the center but since he is fabricating it he will get me some. They will come in raw and I will get them powdercoated to match the front ones. It's only hundred dollar bills, what the hell----------
the boat could tip over at any time----------------------:)

-
Back