Tire questions

-

player1up

Reaction score
I'm running BFG T/A's and they seem to suck in the rain.
I know that a lot of people run them but what does everyone think of them?
Not sure of the age of the tires but it do know they are 4-5 years old. They have plenty of tread on them but was wondering...
Do tires get hard after a while?
Is there a way to check how hard a tire is? I suppose not that it wouldn't help me unless I knew how hard the tire was originally........calling Frank ( the tire god guy) :lol:

BFGs are really not that great of a tire but the looks are hard to beat on old muscle cars.

Try going to http://www.tirerack.com/index_w.jsp and look up tire options in your size and read the wet weather reviews.

Just a side note…. In my opinion you won't find a very good tire that has white letters.

Well, I run mine with the letters on the inside.... I'm just wondering if I'm the only one having the issues with traction....and I only have a /6 pushing them....

Apparently I'm not the only one with the issue.... from tirerack reviews

I have these tires on the back of my '68 Ford Galaxie 500, 390 big block with 400HP. I like to get on it pretty good from the stop lights and these tires just roast. Wet traction is pathetic and cornering stability isn't the greatest either. The only major plus about these tires is that they are quiet on the highway and they ride decent. I would not recommend these tires to someone who plans on driving aggressively or on a rear wheel drive car, because under even a mild launch they dont hook up. I will not be buying these tires again because they don't meet my performance needs.

I had the same issues with BFGs on a 57chev shorty (that was years ago though). I swapped them out for another brand and that thing stuck like glue. Having your tires siped helps with traction....

Well, I had to do some investigation ( siping , thought to be a typo ) interesting concept that I may try....

They are akin to having steel-hooped wagon wheels on your car !!!

Hard as a rock which means they will last forever but they don't grip the road.

When you get down in the 200 to 250 on the treadwear index, then you start getting something that works decent.

When the T/A's first came out I talked to a guy who had them on his Corvette. I asked him if they were any good & he said they were pretty good after you got the tread worn about half way down. Don't know if that still holds true but, even if it does, it's a lousy way to get a good tire on the street. I'd be interested as to what people think of different tires as far as traction/handling, etc. It's getting hard to find anything decent, even in sizes as amall as 15".

Yes, tires do harden with age, eventually cracking. When BFG first came out with the T/A, they raced them. For racing they shaved the tread down to make the tread blocks more stable. It would be the same for wearing them down 50%.

I run 235/60-15 T/As all around on my Demon. Just for grins, I looked over at tirerack.com and found that I had four choices in my size, Pirelli 6000, BFG T/A, Firestone Firehawk 500, Goodyear Eagle GT II. I knocked off the Pirelli @ $211 per tire as being too expensive. The GT II had a narrower treadwith, so I knocked it out of further investigation. Most telling for me was that more Firehawk owners would buy the same tire again than would T/A owners.
:read2:

the good t/a was the comp. t/a which was phased out or changed name. not sure have not sold bfg,s for years the reg t/a is more of a all season higher mileage tire. the drag raidal is a good dry trac tire. there are many other tires that might give beter wet trac. als

Yes, tires do harden with age, eventually cracking. When BFG first came out with the T/A, they raced them. For racing they shaved the tread down to make the tread blocks more stable. It would be the same for wearing them down 50%.

I run 235/60-15 T/As all around on my Demon. Just for grins, I looked over at tirerack.com and found that I had four choices in my size, Pirelli 6000, BFG T/A, Firestone Firehawk 500, Goodyear Eagle GT II. I knocked off the Pirelli @ $211 per tire as being too expensive. The GT II had a narrower treadwith, so I knocked it out of further investigation. Most telling for me was that more Firehawk owners would buy the same tire again than would T/A owners.
:read2:
I'm considering putting 235/60-15s on all 4 corners of my 72 340 Duster using 15x7 rallye wheels with 4 1/4 backspace. Did you have any interference issues on your front wheels? Any pictures?

-
Back