Tire sidewall clearance

-

mopowers

Reaction score
How much clearance is needed in a leaf spring car in order for rear tires not to rub either the leaf spring, or the outer wheel well lip???

Tire would be a 255/60/15 radial on a 15 x 7 rim, so I'm sure there'll be some flex.

Will 1/2" suffice?

About a half inch between the tire and the spring, and mine just barely touched on a hard corner so I would expect about the same on the outside.
I saw your tire fit post but what I know didn't really seem to apply, but I think it does now with this question.

I run 225/60/15's on a 4.5 backspace and have a half inch between the tire and the springs, and about an inch between the tires and the fenders.

I would have preferred a 4 inch backspace and have the inch clearance on the insides, and the half inch on the outsides but I got such a killer deal on the wheels I lived with it. :)

Not sure which of the rides you're asking about. Like that '66 BTW. Is it a track car or a strip car?

I was interested in running 255/60-15 on the Demon. I put an old pair of these on 15 x 7 cop car rims, 4½" BS. In the rear, they were easily less than ½" from the spring on the inside. No problem with clearance from the wheel well opening, but they would be into the wheel well with about 2½ of spring deflection.

Stumped with this trial, I called Stockton Wheel. They suggested a max tire package of 235/60-15 (26.1" tall, section width 9½" on a 7" wide rim). These are a little snug in front, but OK at the rear. Every once in a while, I'll bounce a tire off the inside of a wheel well. I can only imagine how often it would happen with a 255/60-15.

I have a police wheels with 275/60/15s on the back of my car. about a half inch from the leaf spring. stock everything. I never had them rub the springs and i don't drive around like your grandma does!

So a half inch should be good.

Not sure which of the rides you're asking about. Like that '66 BTW. Is it a track car or a strip car?

I was interested in running 255/60-15 on the Demon. I put an old pair of these on 15 x 7 cop car rims, 4½" BS. In the rear, they were easily less than ½" from the spring on the inside. No problem with clearance from the wheel well opening, but they would be into the wheel well with about 2½ of spring deflection.

Stumped with this trial, I called Stockton Wheel. They suggested a max tire package of 235/60-15 (26.1" tall, section width 9½" on a 7" wide rim). These are a little snug in front, but OK at the rear. Every once in a while, I'll bounce a tire off the inside of a wheel well. I can only imagine how often it would happen with a 255/60-15.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm asking about the 68 Dart. The 66 is an ongoing 10 sec pump gas street/strip bigblock project. 512/727/4.10 Dana/ladder bar/coilovers all corners.

I've moved the springs in on the 68 about 1/2", so if I order some Wheel vintiques 15 x 7 steelies with a 5" to give me 1/2" clearance to the leaf and 1/2" to the quarter lip. I've got HD springs, so I'm hoping they'll stay off of the wheel well. If I have to I'll have them re-arched at a local spring shop.

Thanks again for the input. It's very much appreciated.

-
Back