Tire size help

-

bigtooth

Reaction score
I have a '72 duster which the PO bought 15x8 American Racing Outlaw 2 rims for, I don't mind the look, but the tires hit the fender lips in the rear.
I believe the rims have 3.75 inch backspacing and the current tires are 270/60/15. I just took the old leaf springs with long rear shackles out and replaced them with ESPO +1" springs and stock shackles, looking at the new ride height, their still going to hit.
My question is do you think if I trim the lip i'll get enough clearance, it looks like it would still be really close.
and
do you think a 255/60/15 will solve my rubbing troubles, or would I need to go smaller with the 3.75 bs?

you could either change to a 4 1/2- 3/4 backspace, or you could go with a 235/70/15 which is the same height but a narrower footprint. if you cut the lip , you still may not get what you need with the 275/60. any pics?

you still may not get what you need with the 275/60. any pics?

This is what i'm afraid of... hopefully between some trimming and some 255/60's i'll get what i need.
I'm trying to not have to buy new rims.. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Here are some pics. I havent driven it with the ESPO springs yet, it won't stop raning!:wack:

Attachments

• Dsc00863.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 214
  • Dsc00861.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Dsc00862.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 189
is that a 275/60? it looks like you will get enough by trimming the lip. heck, it may not even rub on the bumps if your springs and shocks are stiff enough

I would drive it first and see if the new springs cured it. If not roll the lip on top.

thanks guys, i'll give it a try. yes its a 275/60. I bought the 6 leaf spring and have cheapo shocks in it. I can't have it rub anymore, thats how I convinced the Mrs. to let me buy the new springs :)
Shes maybe 135lbs, but it would only rub when I had a passenger in it (her) - I had to tread around that fact lightly :)

-
Back