Tire size question

-

csx452

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm wondering what the biggest size 14" tire is that will fit on a 75 Scamp. I had a 68 Dart back in the day that I ran F-70 14 on the front and H-70-14 on the rear. I'm not sure if I want to go that route or keep all 4 the same size. The car is currently a slant 6, but will be getting a 360 next year. I want as much tire on it as I can get.
Thanks in advance,
Frank H.

Frank,

Best way of checking is to leave your current tires and rims on the car and measure the clearance. I assume you want to keep the inner fender panels so, after you get the measurement, go to your tire store and start measuring the width of the tires. Make sure you stay with a Mopar standard offset type rim...that way your wheel bearings will be saved from undue loading. On a Scamp, same as my Duster, make sure you don't go too big in diameter on the front tires, that small wheel well and fender bolt can really get in the way.

Jerome

I have run 215/70-14s on the front of the Duster. On 14x6
wheels. Both rallies and now Weld prostars. Fill up the opening
great. Here's a pic. Should be the same fender.

000_0094 (2).jpg

I could not figure out how to determine how big a wheel tire combo I could fit under the fenders through the entire suspension travel and steering angles possible. I called Stockton Wheel who recommended I not go larger than a 15x7 with stock offset and a 235/60-15 tire. I haven't had any problem with it. I can't recall seeing anyone running anything larger on the front.

Others on this site have used 8-inch wide wheels and 275/60-15 on the rear. I can't recall seeing anything larger on the rear without a mini-tub.

The BFG website recommends tire-rim width combinations as well as the size of the wheel-tire package. See what the max width tire your rims will accomodate and then compare that combination with the 235/60-15. If smaller, you should be good to go.

With cop 15" rims on my 71 swinger set up to handle and corner hard,
I ran into sidewall chew with 225 60R15 tires, and settled on 215 60R15s
with complete satisfaction. Mostly was the rear tire outside gettting chewed.
50 series tires guarantee bent rims here in Chicago.

it all depends on backspacing. each model and every cars measurements are different. only reason i know is because i had to measure myself and the numbers are different for almost every car. the quality control was nill compared to today.

-
Back