tire size

-

mopops

Reaction score
have 72 swinger with 66 charger 8.3/4 rear(stock width) and I have 14" ralley wheels with 6" width (bead to bead)and 4 1/4 back spacing . Can anyone tell me how big a tire I can run? If I need to have spring shackles thats not a problem thanks mopops

Look up the specs of the tires at tirerack to see the acceptable rim widths for the various tires.

Limited by rim width, too. BFGs specs say nothing bigger than 225/70-14 to be fitted on a 14x6 wheel.

I would not advise any one to use a shackle kit on a Mopar. It'll settle like a fresh filled in grave and make the car plow like a Clydesdale. Can you say asymmetric rear springs? Why sure you can.

Like stated the rim width is the limiting factor, Id agree with 225s. But if you got a wider rim you could fit 255s with everything stock. Thats what im running on my 73 dart.

under stood, but I have a wider than stock rear end--will probably need rims with more back space. when i get the rear in place it will be easier to make a choice

have 72 swinger with 66 charger 8.3/4 rear(stock width) and I have 14" ralley wheels with 6" width (bead to bead)and 4 1/4 back spacing . Can anyone tell me how big a tire I can run? If I need to have spring shackles thats not a problem thanks mopops

9.65 section width is widest that will go on an unaltered A body. 10.4 with an offset kit. 13.1 with the mini tub.

Ideally you want the widest rim you can get on a tire. Now go too far and even if you mount them they will look funny. I'd say the limit is overall rim width equal to the section width of the tire. I would not personally go beyond that.

Now on to your rims if the rim is 6" bead to bead the overall is wider. You can certainly put a 9.65" tire on a 6" bead to bead rim. You'll have 1.5" or less over on each side. Many people here use 10.50's on 8" rims. Do the proportional math.

Realize that manufacturer rim specs are just that. They are a set of min and max guidelines that will work with their tires within a tolerance they feel is ideal. My tires are 28x12.50's and have a section width of 13.1. They say 8-11" rims on the manufacturers home page. That huge... 8" trims with 13.1 section width. That's 2.55" on each side. I run 11.25" rims. Oops, I'm over. No big deal.

The higher the aspect ratio tires (taller 70,75 tires) vs low lower (50) can take a wider range rim widths. More sidewall to move in or out.

You may put a 225 70 on a 6" rim, but a 225 40 won't fit........

The higher the aspect ratio tires (taller 70,75 tires) vs low lower (50) can take a wider range rim widths. More sidewall to move in or out.

You may put a 225 70 on a 6" rim, but a 225 40 won't fit........

True, In a 225 series the largest you can put on a 6" rim is a 225/50/15.

What height are you looking for? Mickey Thompson makes a really street radial in a 225/50/15 that will easily fit on an unaltered A body.

Check out the MT3751R. I'm running these on my dad's truck right now.

I have a rear end that is- 1 and 3/16 wider than stock each side-and with the rim I have i am limited by rim width-my concern is how well it will fit in the wheel house with the wider rear. I have not installed the rear yet so I have no measurements to go by. I talked to MOPAR TONY (LONG ISLAND) who has done this swap, but I have lost his ph# so I can't get info from him-just thought you guys could help. thanks mopops

-
Back