Tire size

-

Gator

Mopar or No Car
Reaction score
Ok I currently am running on the rear a 255/60r15 on an 8" rim and thinking about going with a 275/60r15. Since the sidewall height on this tire is approximately 1/2" taller will it raise the rear end of my car up that much or not much change at all....and going with this size will it have any effect on my tranny or drive train? Currently is 727 with a 9" Rear end.. Thanks

Last edited:
That is a relatively minor change and you won't notice much at allI would be more concerned about the width and knowing that you had clearances against your leave springs and fender Wells, I run 275 50 15s nitto drag radials but it is on a 70 swinger I believe you have quite a bit more room to play with on a duster.

Better check your math. A 255/60/15 is 27” tall. A 275/60/15 is 28” tall.

That’s the diameter of course, but it means a 1/2” increase on the radius, so, it will raise the car about a 1/2” in the back. Assuming your speedometer was geared correctly for your old tires, your actual speed will be about 3.5% faster than indicated with the new ones. So for example if the speedo says 60 you’ll be doing ~62.1. The faster you go the larger the mph difference will be.

Ok guys thanks. Think I will give them a try and I do have plenty of clearance.

Found this online:

255 vs 275 60-15s.jpg

Ok guys thanks. Think I will give them a try and I do have plenty of clearance.
Ok I did purchase BF Goodrich 275/60r15 tires and they fit like a glove. No clearance issues at all and these tires do indeed fill up my wheel well more than the 255/60's did. Height wise of the rear end of the car, like K.O.Swinger said, their is no noticeable difference.

-
Back