Tires: They work...Tires: Might not work...

-

Glow Worm

"Not Your Grandmaw's 318"
Reaction score
The used tires I put on my car last weekend (before going to the track) were 225/70 x 14. The clearance was adequate.

Anyone running 235/60 x 14 on a STOCK 66 Barracuda ? ? ? ?

When I saw one of them, I fell in love, but I'm not sure they'd fit.....

NOTE: I plan to TRY to keep the 5.5 width stock rims..... Am I being stupid? Will the skinny rim look ok with the fat tire?

NOTE: I have Air Shocks.

Here is a pic with the 225/70 x 14

DragRaces001.jpg

I was going to say that if they have adequate clearance & you like them, then run 'em. But I have checked a bit & what I've seen says that size tire should be on a minimum of a 6" wide rim. The same goes for a 225/70. You might be able to get away with the smaller rim, but there's a good chance your tires won't wear evenly. I'd expect them to wear out in the middle of the tread. You might be able to compensate a bit by running a lower air pressure, but I don't know that I'd recommend it.

Having said that, I think the tire you have on back of your car looks good. I like the way it seems to hug the outer fenderwell without rubbing. Can you post pics of how close it is to the outer fender? How close is "adequate?" I'm playing with what the largest tire I can fit in the back wheelwell would be. It would be nice to know what kinds of clearances people have used with no cleaarance problems on the early Barracudas. I THINK I might be able to squeeze a 265/60 15 or a 265/50 15 in there.

i ran 245/60/14's front and rear for years...

stock 66 cuda

I wasn't saying you couldn't get away with the tire size, I was more concerned with the narrow rims you were going to run. I ran an F60 14 on back of mine that was a little larger than a 245/60 & an E60 14 on front that was a little smaller than a 245/60 with no problems. All were on 7" rims. Proper offset was necessary to fit them without problems. There is a thread with some pics of the tire size on the rear showing how they cleared. I'll look for it & try to post a link.

Here's the link. Read it all, because I've made a lot of measurements & stated that I thought I knew what offset I needed & I turned out to be way off.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14745

i dont know if your stuck on running 14's but i put a 235-60-15 in the back of my 65 valiant, the only problem i had was after i went to the track i forgot to put the tire pressure back up to street use and they were rubbing the quarter with two people in back; gave them a little shot of air and no rubbing issues at all. that picture is before the front spring perch flip so the bottom of the quarter sits about level with the wheel now.

i had my 245/60/14's on 14 x 5.5" wheels for 12 years and 15,000 miles, i never even came close to wearing them out, when I put the 360 in it then i had a hard time keeping tread on the back tires...lol

recently went with 255 out back, theres room. but its a 17" wheel and less sidewall.

-
Back