Titles for sale?

-
In Washington it is not illegal to sell them, they are just paper after all, but it is illegal to use one.

Chuck

Titles are regularly sold at swap meets in Washington state. There are vendors that specialize in it. Usually they are purchased by people who have bought an old car without a title. The buyer then stamps the vin from the title into the frame of the car he purchased and gets it inspected by the State Patrol. Many states don't (or didn't) title cars so there is only a bill of sale. It's kind of a loophole since re-titling a vehicle is meant for wrecked cars but the DOL lets it go. This is from their website:
"You may, however, retitle a salvage vehicle, provided it has been inspected and approved by the Washington State Patrol (WSP) and you have paid all the required license and title fees."
My neighbor bought a New york title and was able to re-title and register his 31 Ford this way.

Here in Ontario, Canada you just give the motor vehicle office the VIN and fill in a form they have to request a replacment title on behalf of the owner. If you don't know who the owner was, you pay $20 and get a "Sellers Package" that shows the last 3 registered owners. Now you just put that last guys name on the form, scribble his signature on the form and on a sale receipt, and the car is now yours. But of course, I would never forge anyones signature..that's illegal I think. :cheers:

Re stamping a VIN# from one car to another is a Federal offense. The State can issue a new VIN# however. They will rivet a new tag to the door jam.

If you buy a title from another car and stamp your car with the vin from the title you are committing fraud.

Adam is 100% correct, only the government can assign a VIN to a vehicle. It is not allowed at all for an individual to do it.

Chuck

Isn't Ford restamping VINs on '68 Mustangs that they are rebuilding into like new cars?

let’s say someone bought a parts car with clean title and wanted to sell the dash (including vin #) and the ownership from that car. I would have to imagine that someone out their must have a car that they have without an ownership that would want to make that purchase. Is this really a bad thing?
Cars have been bought without title; perhaps it was used as a race car and not titled for the street, purchased without papers. How do you get it on the road?

Re stamping a VIN# from one car to another is a Federal offense. The State can issue a new VIN# however. They will rivet a new tag to the door jam.

If you buy a title from another car and stamp your car with the vin from the title you are committing fraud.

I'm not advocating or endorsing the practice. I just happen to know it is done. Since I'm not a lawyer or Federal official associated with vehicle licencing I can't speak to whether or not it is legal, ethical or otherwise.

Its not up to me to say if its right or wrong, but thats just the law, Its illegal to swap numbers.

I've never done, I never would. I know people who have done it. Some times I dont really see the big deal "IF" its disclosed as being done but thats only under certain circumstances.

-
Back