To Drink or Not to Drink (before bedtime)?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Don't matter how I manage water intake, I am sure to get up one, two, or three times a night. From internet article:

Water is a vital resource for our bodies, and without it, life wouldn't be possible. There are right and wrong ways to drink water, however.

It's a pretty common belief that you need to stop drinking water right before you go to bed.

They call it disruptive of your sleep having to wake up and urinate in the middle of the night. For some, you could certainly call it disruptive, but it also isn't good for your health to dehydrate overnight.

When you're dehydrated, you're at a greater risk for painful muscle cramps while you sleep as well as stroke and heart attack. Drinking a glass of water before bed helps your body cycle through toxins and dispel waste.

In addition to drinking a glass of water before bed, you should have one first thing when you wake up.

It helps activate the internal organs. You should also drink a glass before each meal. It aids in digestion and helps prevent overeating.

Of course, if it's a hot day or you've been exercising, you'll need to drink more water. If you've been feeling tired for no reason, it's likely because of dehydration.

water.jpg

trust me, its a lot more disruptive to your sleep if you do NOT get up to pee in the middle of the night
(and you can forget cuddling with the missus after peeing yourself too)

The required medical procedure is called the TURC (TURK) procedure.
70% of middle to senior men need this process done to alleviate the problem.
No, I am not a urologist. :lol:

You must not be a Urologist because it's actually "TURP".....:rofl:

Yes, a much needed surgery by me soon to be provided by my urologist. First two new knees and now this. Not to mention the hearing aids, thus my misspelling of the word.
I'm probably headed down the same road. After you posted the "TURP" word I did some research, the recovery time is quite a few weeks??? Doesn't sound like any fun at all!!:eek::(

My guy said one week at home and three additional weeks no lifting and light duty. I’m bummed because I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and that’s out too.

42 minutes to pee that last glass of water, so if you stop 1 hr before bed you wont need your diaper!

Going in for my second TURP within a year Friday. Procedure not that bad but carrying around your bag Buddy for 2 days or so sucks.

Last edited:
One factor which, surprisingly, I can find no comments or suggestions on anywhere is this: When I do make sleepy trips to the bathroom, should I drink some more water before falling back to sleep?

One factor which, surprisingly, I can find no comments or suggestions on anywhere is this: When I do make sleepy trips to the bathroom, should I drink some more water before falling back to sleep?

Although I do because I'm a mouth breather at night and get very dry mouth I would think it would be better not to. That's more from my experience than any medical knowledge.

No need to drink again before morning. If you were properly hydrated before bed time, you aren’t going to dehydrate in 8 hrs before wake up. Besides, drinking water after you get up in the morning gets you hydrated and gets your organs working quickly. Just make sure it’s not too cold or you will cause your stomach to become too active before you eat and make you feel hungrier than you really are.

Although I do because I'm a mouth breather at night and get very dry mouth I would think it would be better not to. That's more from my experience than any medical knowledge.
Same here, I wake up so dried out I have to work at it , but don`t drink water at night. About 3 times getting up for me is average, but have done 5 times. TAKING SAW PALMETTO , PRETTY RELIGOUSLY HELPS A LITTLE ! DISREGARD CAPS!

TAKING SAW PALMETTO , PRETTY RELIGOUSLY HELPS A LITTLE!
Zinc, Sunflower Lecithin, Pygeum, and L-Arginine. Trust me on this one. Omit the L-Arginine if you get cold sores or have the herps.

Also an additional consideration besides getting up to take a leak, a belly full of water can also cause acid reflux, which will destroy the quality of your sleep.

I sleep in a recliner chair now, if I lie down flat in bed I start coughing for some strange reason.
Get your pulmonary function tested. The reasons for coughing while lying flat are numerous...some benign and easily treated...and others that are more critical and need to be addressed ASAP..

Don’t wait, get checked.

Get your pulmonary function tested. The reasons for coughing while lying flat are numerous...some benign and easily treated...and others that are more critical and need to be addressed ASAP..

Don’t wait, get checked.

I'm going to have to check into that myself. My dumbass General sent me to a Gastroenterologist who sent me to get a Cat scan on my lower digestive tract. I still have the cough:wtf:

Same here, I wake up so dried out I have to work at it , but don`t drink water at night. About 3 times getting up for me is average, but have done 5 times. TAKING SAW PALMETTO , PRETTY RELIGOUSLY HELPS A LITTLE ! DISREGARD CAPS!

My surgery was moved to Thursday.. Hoping for longer lasting results this time. Been fighting this off and on for 20 years.I'll have to try forcing myself not to drink when I get up

-
Back