to inject or not to inject, that is the question

-

37fleetwood

Reaction score
finally it looks like I will be retiring the 225 in my 1964 Dart GT for a small block V-8. I happen to be in the position of chosing from about a dozen possibles from a 273 2bbl through a 360 4bbl. one of the possibles is about a 1989 318 throttle body type fuel injection setup. has anyone used this, what are the advantages and disadvantages, and finally what do I need to make it work? right now I have the intake and the throttle body. I'll post photos and numbers if anyone willing to help needs them.

The computer these things used is not all that sophisticated and doesn't adapt all that well to mods (which includes bolting a 318 TBI to a stock 340 or something similar). The TBI itself was made by Holley and was later used in their two barrel Pro-Jection system. The hardware could be used with most aftermarket ECUs as well as the stock one. My experience from testing a TBI on a brand X car is that it can get better starting and drivability than a carb, but fuel distribution and mileage are about the same.

-
Back