To paint or not to paint the underside

-
I blasted my Swinger and epoxy primer/ sealed the bottom in a red oxide color. My understanding is that the factory did not paint the bottoms or fenderwells . I could be wrong ...

^^^^Factory dipped the body up so high in primer, only top coat overspray just under just past the rocker. This the holes in floors that are plugged.
People over restore compared to how cars came factory. bc/cc, painted undersides, etc

^^^^Factory dipped the body up so high in primer, only top coat overspray just under just past the rocker. This the holes in floors that are plugged.
People over restore compared to how cars came factory. bc/cc, painted undersides, etc

Agreed ... Most "restored" cars I see
now days have perfect panel alignment and paint jobs that would put custom cars of the 60s to shame . Not mine ... I intend to drive them .
Single stage paint and pretty nice panels.

Blast it epoxy and raptor bedliner. And never look back

20170625_163803.jpg

20170625_163756.jpg

Btw my car was a factory undercoated car and blasting took 3hrs and it took it off no problem

I agree they are over restored. The one good thing about my Challenger being painted on the bottom is that it should still be around in 100 years..lol. I recently looked at a 25,000 mile original 340 Duster and you would be surprised how unperfect they were. You could see the rasp marks in the lead where the roof meets the upper quarter panel.

I see so many hi end restos painted body color underneath that i think a lot of guys believe that's how they came from the factory. I recently talked to a seller who has restored many Mopars and claimed all that he owned back in the day were all painted body color underneath.I took the high road and told him i didn't know that's how the factory did them, and went on my way.

I see so many hi end restos painted body color underneath that i think a lot of guys believe that's how they came from the factory. I recently talked to a seller who has restored many Mopars and claimed all that he owned back in the day were all painted body color underneath.I took the high road and told him i didn't know that's how the factory did them, and went on my way.

Maybe all his cars were gray ? Lol

Agreed ... Most "restored" cars I see
now days have perfect panel alignment and paint jobs that would put custom cars of the 60s to shame . Not mine ... I intend to drive them .
Single stage paint and pretty nice panels.

My thought has always been an end product that the line could have achieved if they had no time limit. Past that.....I'm no fan of cut and buff.

Very fine orange peel on the sides that is visible only at certain angles and perfectly flat on the roof, hood and trunk. Just like original.

I used 1 1/2 kits. I then used the leftover on the bottom side of my riding mower deck after i sandblasted it also

-
Back