Tone ring/130 tooth issue question

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
I know that there is the flywheel issue. I read in mopar action where Rick E just sandwiched the tone ring between the flywheel and the crank. It doesn't with flush... so did he just crush it down

He never did it with a manual trans flywheel, only a torque converter and an automatic. If he DID pull it off with a flywheel, I want pics and a flywheel part number (it WON'T be a factory 'wheel).
You can email him through ebay (username Rehrenberg) since Mopar Action Magazine is officially dead n gone (at least with his involvement. RIP) to ask him directly but.....

There's no way no how they'll fit a tone ring behind a flywheel like that, even though a billion people suggest it. That's why no photos exist. The clearance is like three eighths inch at the bottom of the block- trans mating surface.

That said, you can either buy the steel flywheel from American powertrain, or you can contact me for aluminum. Either of those will have the proper clearance for crank sensor, and have tone ring built right in.

I've got pictures of a flexplate and flywheel nested together if you wanted to see how they (don't) fit.

Like to hear some specifics on the comment you read from Ehrenburg so we can see it in context. Don't remember him talking about a Magnum swap with a manual trans in print. I've talked to him via email about it, but that is different.

The cost of a flywheel isn't that bad now. Prior to the arrival of custom made flywheels that worked, I had planned to move the sensor to the front of the motor and run it off the crank pulley. I guess you could still look at that if you wanted to save money (or already had a flywheel balance to your motor like I do).

See it's been so long since I read the article I don't even doubt you at all. Who makes a ready to go flywheel thy works? Thanks.

Here is the 5.9 flywheel - Billet Steel Flywheel 360/5.9L

$285. Looks like the notches add $65 to the cost. They also sell a 5.2 flywheel.

You would have to talk to jos51700 above about where to find an aluminum one if you wanted that.

-
Back