Tonights project

-

Sparky

Reaction score
My Baracadoo was originaly a column shift, it is now on the floor. I want to change the column cover, get rid of the pernundle and shift lever bracket. The problem I am having now is that it is necessary to get these wires out of this connector in order to get the cover off. The shop manual suggests how to do it but I am worried that I am going to break a pin and have to search for a replacement part. I( am thinking about cutting the wires them splicing them back together. Has anybody done this chore, what the frig is the trick to getting those wires out of the conector.??
I plan on grinding the pernundle and bracket off the filling the holes...unless someone out there has a column cover they no longer need!!!, If so let me know, have had no luck finding one around here.

dscf0717.jpg

dscf0730.jpg

dscf0725.jpg
:?

It looks different from what I've seen lately (been awhile) but if those are the wires from the column from the t-sig switch it shouldn't be that big of a deal. The terminals remove from the lower connector. Get yourself a small pick tool or a small paper clip and bend it open or something small and flat. Use care and stick the pick into the end that looks like it will release the tang on the terminal (usually the rear). It helps to sometimes wiggle the terminal by the wire to get it to pop out. Just make sure you know where they each go back in before doing so. The wires then pull up through the column

The connector will go threw the column they are just very tight going threw!
Just take your time with it! Good luck! :thumleft:

A long time ago I had to replace the wiring in my column and I couldn't get the connector to go through and ended up doing what gts340 did. The hard part was getting the wires back down the column. I think I ended up pulling them through with some string taped to the wires. You can use your photo's to remember where each wire goes in the connector.

Good Luck!
-Nick :shaking2:

Went out this morning before work to double check if the conector might slip through the slot but no way is that going to happen. I wonder if they used different size/style conectors? I will just have to play with it for a bit,just don't want to break a pin. :shaking:
Need to get this done, my dash bezel should be back from CV Platers early next week, and all the snow is gone, need to get on the road.

The proper method for doing this is to remove the connector, that's how it's designed. The later connectors I think are flatter than yours and may push through, but it can damage the wiring. MoparNick has the right idea, fish the wires through with something. If anyone here has ever bought a new one, the instructions say to remove the plug, but I think it comes with the wires already out of the plug to start.

I will have to play with the conector tonight, make sure I don't break anything :pale:
Has anyone ever replaced the turn signal cancel switch, I have a broken cam on mine, is this part available or is it a junyard item? :scratch:
Thanks

Might as well do it now, it's the same wiring, that's what the connector is for. They are available, but I'm not sure from where.

-
Back