Too big fuel pump?

-

Marcelo Dart BR

Reaction score
Could it be a problem to run a BG400 (400 gph) fuel pump on a street 318 with about 350 hp? This pump was a pretty good deal, so I got it. I also have one of those basic chrome Holley regulators.
Would these parts work well toghether on the street?

if u do run that pump you need atleast some good -8 to -10 line and a good regulator with a return line.

Overkill...no need for that pump on that little motor..

I know it is unnecessary, but I don't want to buy another pump if I can use this one. I was planning to use the return from the pump, since this regulator has no return.

Why would it be bad? Fuel heating?

they are nice pumps bc they are rebuild able, friend of mine put a lot of street miles on one

Lol... I thought maybe setting the pump to its lowest psi and dealing with the regulator could work. When I got this pump I didn't realize it was so big.

Actually, a BG pump here in Brazil (a used one) costs about U$300 and a new Holley red pump costs U$400 :BangHead:. I got this BG for less than U$100.

I am, actually. I'm running a stock Carter mechanical pump, but I think it could be too small for my engine. I never had a problem with it, but I recently got new heads and felt it was time to step up on the fuel system too.

my buddy has a 347 Ford 12.5:1 with 800 holley shifts at 7600... it has a Holley mechanical pump....

Mine is a street car. 10.5/1, fully ported heads with 1.94/1.60 valves, Mopar solid 284 cam, Holley 4777 and RPM intake. Rarely sees more than 6500 rpm.

I really like the look of braided lines and aluminum fittings. My engine has fabricated covers and an x-stream air cleaner, so IMO the braided lines will match this look. I don't want to use braided lines on a mechanical pump cause it would look silly...

I already have the fittings and braided hose, but they are all 6an. What if I try to trade the BG400 for a Holley red?

-
Back