Too good to be true??

-

chuckwagon2004

71 dartswinger
Reaction score
Ok well I have ran into a guy with a 360 build he is trying to get rid of. it is supposed to be straight out of the machine shop etc. I will call in the morning to talk to the machine shop guys and get the parts lists etc. One thing that worries me is the 50 overbore on the cylinders. Would I be asking for overheating probs and other problems down the road. The car is going to be a street car and the guy that had this motor built was going to make a bracket car out of it.. What you guy think bout the overbore? I will be running a aluminum radiator and elec fan more than likely.

If the cyls were sonic tested after boring correctly should not have a problem... Just make sure that your cooling system is upto snuff... I ran a 60 over 340 with no problems .... but i had a 3 core k core modine cooling the car ....

As long as the compression is not high, What piston's and compression would be the only concern to me Chuck :happy10: I did a 60 over years ago all stock and drove it for four years with a factory a/c car radiator in a 73 Challenger.

Looks like I'm going to have to talk to the machine shop sometime today. THe guy selling it has no idea what all has been done or what guts are in it...

ooohh i would definately ask questions, if he was having it built for racing wouldnt you know what was put in it. think he could be pulling a fast, or slow one on somebody. ????????????????????

If they stopped at 50 that sounds fishy.

Most do .40 or .60, so that tells you that maybe there's something going on.

It's worth taking to another shop and spending $100 for a sonic check,
and if you can get him to pay half of it, even better right?

I wouldn't stop at .050, if it were mine... maybe they stopped for a reason!

If they stopped at 50 that sounds fishy.

Most do .40 or .60, so that tells you that maybe there's something going on.

It's worth taking to another shop and spending $100 for a sonic check,
and if you can get him to pay half of it, even better right?

I wouldn't stop at .050, if it were mine... maybe they stopped for a reason!

So far nobody has said if they even heard of any 360 pistons made at +.050" over.
I doubt there are custom +.050" race pistons in that engine.

As stated above, check compression and check bearing tolerances. Racing motors are "loose", street motors are "tight".

-
Back