too much advance

-

93toyota

Reaction score
I got a 71 duster w/ a 360 and having timing problems. I set the base at 10 degrees and checked the total timing at 300rpm and it is 45 degrees. Set the base at 0 and still went to 45. At 2000rpm the total is 35 degrees. Tried adjusting the advance and no change. Screwed ( turned clockwise) the advance in till it stopped and no change. Any advice?

You have some thing wrong in the distributor advance system.if you get no reaction from turning the distributor to reduce the timing some thing way wrong here.Is the vacumn advance off and not being used?What was done to the distributor?Mrmopartech

93toyota said:
I got a 71 duster w/ a 360 and having timing problems. I set the base at 10 degrees and checked the total timing at 300rpm and it is 45 degrees. Set the base at 0 and still went to 45. At 2000rpm the total is 35 degrees. Tried adjusting the advance and no change. Screwed ( turned clockwise) the advance in till it stopped and no change. Any advice?

What are you screwing? The vacuum advance adjustment screw inside the can?
You need to loosen the distributor hold down clamp and turn the whole distributor.

ok adjusted the base to 9 degrees and total advance to 35. Now its smoking. Went 2 stages lean ( eddy 600) and changed pri and sec jets and rods. Started it , washed my hands, came back and it and there was a big fricken smoke cloud everywhere and it kept coming out the pipes. Drove to blockbuster and then mcDonalds and no smoke. WTF??????

-
Back