Too short clutch fork?

-

palousedust

Reaction score
74 duster, 318 w/ 3-speed manual. Clutch fork seems to be a half inch too short. W/ trans installed to bell housing, releasing bearing won't stay seated on fork. One side of bearing will stay seated but other side comes off. Turn the bearing to seat the side that's off and then other side comes off. It's close, but trans shaft prevents full seating of both sides of bearing on fork at same time. Fork appears to be the right one. It measures 12 1/2" in length which I believed is the correct fork for this application and I don't know of a longer one for mopar. Fork appears NOT to be the original equipment because it has a sticker for another company on it, but as stated, seems to look the same as stock and correct length. Anybody else run into this? Something I'm missing? Solutions? Thanks

If it's not an original Chrysler release fork, I would question if maybe the little clip that holds it into the bellhousing is riveted in the wrong spot. I would look for an original Chrysler fork and solve your problem forever.

Cut out is deep enough. Looking at brewers performance, the fork I have although probably not original equipment, seems to fall under what is the dimensions for the small block A body application and looks the same as the pic.

I'm guessing even though you are trying to install the fork onto the pivot and the release bearing at the same time, one bearing clip is going easier and further than the other. May be causing the fork to tip up or down on the pivot and one side to slip off the bearing clip. Needs to go on straight and equal at all three points. Try again. If it's the correct stuff it should not separate once installed within the designed travel.

Hum, the bracket that is bolted to the bell housing that the fork clips to is different on A,B, and E bodys.
You need the correct one to center the fork on the throw out bearing.
Call Wayne at Brewers, have the number off your bell housing handy.
He will set you straight.

ok here's some real life experience. I had this same exact problem from a used set up. the overall length was 12 and a half inches, but what you really need to look at here is the length from the pivot point for the fulcrum the end of the fork. I was given the wrong fork and ended up having to get a correct one. Again you should have like four inches from the fulcrum point to the end of the fork not three and a half.
but double check those measurements with somebody who actually has the correct one.

ok here's some real life experience. I had this same exact problem from a used set up. the overall length was 12 and a half inches, but what you really need to look at here is the length from the pivot point for the fulcrum the end of the fork. I was given the wrong fork and ended up having to get a correct one. Again you should have like four inches from the fulcrum point to the end of the fork not three and a half.
but double check those measurements with somebody who actually has the correct one.

Good ideas. Did you end up buying a used fork from a private party or something from a business?

Good ideas. Did you end up buying used from a private party or something from a business?

I happened to have a friend looking for a bell housing and i luckily found a guy/fella selling both for $200 and i gave my friend $50 for the fork.

I found a picture of the problem one and you can see it is two of them welded together to make one and it's correct at 12 and a half inches long, but the fulcrum point to the end is only three and a half inches and I believe it needs to be four. Maybe it's correct for a slant six or something ?View attachment 20140410_185352.jpg

Brewer's performance had a pivot whose foot was about 1/2" shorter than the one I had. It fit my bell housing and brought the bearing in line, solving my problem. Thanks for all the help.

74 duster, 318 w/ 3-speed manual. Clutch fork seems to be a half inch too short. W/ trans installed to bell housing, releasing bearing won't stay seated on fork. One side of bearing will stay seated but other side comes off. Turn the bearing to seat the side that's off and then other side comes off. It's close, but trans shaft prevents full seating of both sides of bearing on fork at same time. Fork appears to be the right one. It measures 12 1/2" in length which I believed is the correct fork for this application and I don't know of a longer one for mopar. Fork appears NOT to be the original equipment because it has a sticker for another company on it, but as stated, seems to look the same as stock and correct length. Anybody else run into this? Something I'm missing? Solutions? Thanks

mine is doing the same exact thing but I am running a slant six with a three speed. the fork I have is the 12.5 overall and 4 inch fulcrum as described and I was suspecting it is the wrong fork for a slant.

-
Back